Beta for Mac

I'll keep this thread updated when a new version is awaiting approval

Beta for Mac

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Update: Version 1.0.0 is out of beta and this topic is closed. Please post questions/suggestions/bugs in the other threads.
Here we go..

I've been working on this for a while, and thought you might like it:
It runs in the background and detects your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch on the network when it's running ShutterSnitch. It then backs up any new changes to a folder on your Mac.

..yes, only for Mac OS X (10.6/10.7) at the moment sorry. Time is not on my side, but I'm very interested in seeing this on the Windows platform too. If you're a Windows developer and would like to help with this, please leave me a note!

Edit: beta download link removed.

The app will eventually be a free download on the Mac App Store.

Please feel free to leave bug reports and comments here!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, click the 'Like' button at the bottom of the ShutterSnitch website, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Beta for Mac

Postby paulcoxphotography » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:37 am

Sounds good, will give it a try :)
paulcoxphotography

Postby local.bin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Mmhh now I am in a dilema with my new workflow :-)

I had swapped back from my mac mini to my Synology DN1511+, so I could start using aperture via links rather that copy the files..

Anyway, I'm contemplating going back to the mini again, as this is great.

Any chance of a Synology package version too :-) x86 linux .....

btw does it backup again when more photos come into shuttersnitch? is it running as a service or the app needs to be running?

thanks!
local.bin

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 pm

If there are any volunteers to program a linux version, send me a message and we'll figure something out :)

Yes, it backs up new and changed photos. It even does this the second they're received/changed, if the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch is connected to the same network as the Mac.

It runs as an App in the status bar, not as a service.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, click the 'Like' button at the bottom of the ShutterSnitch website, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Wim.Koornneef » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 am

I installed the ShutterSnitch BackUp app on my iMac with OSX 10.6.7 and within seconds after I entered the login details and after ShutterSnitch was started on iPad the transfer started.
This app really rocks, it is the perfect companion for the ShutterSnitch app, all I can suggest is that you make a shortcut to the download folder in the menu to make it easy to access the backup.

Wim
Wim.Koornneef

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 am

While you wait for that to be added, you can right-click the device in the list and choose "show in finder".

Thanks for the input!

UPDATE: Here's the latest beta that adds that menu to the statusbar dropdown.

EDITED: to remove the link to the no longer used Beta -MadDawgJ
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Wim.Koornneef » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the new beta, the menu option to quickly go to the backup folder is very handy.

Wim
Wim.Koornneef

Postby Wim.Koornneef » Fri May 06, 2011 11:14 am

Hello,

Yesterday I shot a long series of images and a few movies, normally all images are transfered to ShutterSnitch and then relayed to my iMac with ShutterSnitch BackUp but not this time.
After a lot of images (but not all !) the transfer was stopped, I guess there was a time out somewhere, the camera was powered all the time (visible LCD display) but the iPad was dimmed when I later wanted to view the images.
BTW, this could be an issue that has nothing to do with ShutterSnitch, I just mention what happened.

Anyway when I wake up the iPad (ShutterSnitch was still the active app), then shut down the camera and powered it up again the transfer of images to ShutterSnitch started again.

I noticed however that ShutterSnitch BackUp did not continued transferring the files so nothing happened after it received the first batch while the status window reported that the iPad was connected.
When I used the "Check for changes" menu option the transfer of images started again.

When I checked the images on the iPad and of the backup there was a duplicate of one image in the second batch on both devices, I checked the time stamp of the image because I suspected that this was the last image of the first batch and the first image of the second batch but it was not, it was just an image somewhere halfway the second batch.
Not a real issue and again this could be an issue that has nothing to do with ShutterSnitch or ShutterSnitch BackUp, I just mention what happened.

After this first time experience with the need to use the "Check for changes" menu option I wonder if it possible to let ShutterSnitch BackUp do the "Check for changes" by itself whenever it shows a connection with the iPad ?

Best,
Wim
Wim.Koornneef

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm

The "Check for changes" should be performed automatically when ShutterSnitch is opened while being on the same network. If things work as they should, it should also check for changes once a new photo is received or changed. But it sounds like you've run into a problem where those "check for updates" messages aren't sent to the Backup app.

I'm guessing that instead of going to your computer and manually pick "Check for changes", you could have pressed the Home button on your iPad and entered ShutterSnitch again. That would probably have "woken it up".

Let's see if we can find out what the reason for this problem was - I'll contact you privately and we can do some tests!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby randb1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Just downloaded and installed the Shuttersnitch backup and it worked wonderfully!! I have been struggling trying to make shuttersnitch transfer my pictures from my IPad to my IMac easily, and backup made it a snap!! I will be using this quite a bit!! Thanks again for developing it! I have only used it once so far but I will put up further posts if I have any problems.
randb1

Next

Return to Current app approval status