can nikon d4 connect via ethernet?

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

can nikon d4 connect via ethernet?

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 pm

i just ordered the hame mpr-a1 from an ebay seller in china - looking forward to this setup! in the meantime i was wondering if i could hook the nikon D4 up using the ethernet port connecting it to my wifi router via cable and then using shuttersnitch on my ipad 3? possible? if yes, i could use some help, i can't get shuttersnitch to connect to my nikon on which i set up ftp transfer... something wrong in my thinking?
inflite

Re: can nikon d4 connect via ethernet?

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 pm

both devices are in the same network!
inflite

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm

and if i use the nikon d4 dhcp server via webbrowser interface it works flawleslly .
inflite

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't have a D4, but as far as I know, it should be possible yes.

ShutterSnitch doesn't connect to the camera. The camera connects to ShutterSnitch.

Look at it like two telephones. ShutterSnitch is a telephone waiting for a call. When you enter a collection, you'll see an IP and a port number at the top of the screen. That's the "phone number"*.

So first you have to make sure that both "phones" are connected to the network so they can reach each other. In your case you're doing that with a router, and it sounds like you've got that down.

Second, you'll need to set up your camera to know who to "call" when there's a new photo that has to be transferred. You do that by telling it the "phone number" of the FTP server (When you enter a collection in ShutterSnitch, it'll start an FTP server - and show you the relevant numbers at the top of the screen).
In order for the camera to read and write to the collection, it'll also need to supply a username and password. The default username is snitch and the password is the super user password you set up when you first launched ShutterSnitch. Both of these are case sensitive.

So you have 4 things you'll need to tell the camera: IP, port, username, and password. If any of those are wrong, the camera won't be able to establish the connection.
The D4 connection wizard doesn't ask for the port ..so it could very well be that. If you go into your ShutterSnitch settings, the second field from the top is "FTP port" - change that to 21 instead of 26000. 21 is the default port that the D4 picks. Then try taking a photo and see if that makes the camera connect and transfer.

* = Well, to make this analogy better, the first part of the IP is what planet you're on, the second part is the country code, and the Port is the phone number. But let's not dig too deep. Shaky ground.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, click the 'Like' button at the bottom of the ShutterSnitch website, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm

ok, i still can't get it to work. when i install SS it want me to choose a conncetion type: eyefi, wu, etc... there's no option "ethernet" ... what i don't get: i think i have everything right in the d4, as far as i know, but when i'm in a collection, ip right, port right, nothing happens when i take pictures....
inflite

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm

question, and sorry if i take a little longer to get it, no network professionell, do i set up a ftp or http connection in the d4?
inflite

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

FTP will work no matter what you choose.

What error does the D4 give you? (And have you configured it to transfer photos when you take them?)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, click the 'Like' button at the bottom of the ShutterSnitch website, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm

inflite wrote:question, and sorry if i take a little longer to get it, no network professionell, do i set up a ftp or http connection in the d4?

"FTP upload".
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby inflite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:49 pm

yes, i have configured a ftp connection in the nikon d4, entered the right port: 26000, login and user name, and somehow i think it's a nikon setting that prevents SS on my ipad to receive anything. i'm totally new to SS and right now not very happy of course, but, when i open a collection, it tells me the IP and the port. they seem to match but nothing happens when i take a picture.

i guess what i would need is a step by step configuration help that tells me what the settings in the nikon should be...
inflite

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Until the photo is received, ShutterSnitch is as dumb as a telephone.. :) When you're inside a collection, it's just sitting there waiting for a call and for the caller to log in and send the photo. So there's really not much for you to do in ShutterSnitch, other than being inside a collection and notice if the IP and port are the same as the ones you've put in to the "FTP server" fields in the D4.

Again: what error do you get from the D4?
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Nikon WT / WU Wireless Transmitters