Personal hotspot in iOS4.3?

Lego Tech

Personal hotspot in iOS4.3?

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 am

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/11/ios ... r-support/

Let's hope this happens - for us with non-X2 Eye-Fi cards that won't be getting the Direct Mode transfers later this year.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Personal hotspot in iOS4.3?

Postby tunafish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi! Any more info about iOS 4.3's hotspot feature?
I am thinking about getting the iPad 2 but hate to jailbreak.
Is this "personal hotspot" the same as creating an ad-hoc network?

Do we still need an Eye-Fi Pro X2 or will the Explore X2 be sufficient? (no RAW transfers)
I guess getting the Pro X2 for £20 more might be a better idea with the promised "Direct Mode" transfer support? But what is "later this year". Could mean anything..

Which would be the best access-point? iOS or Eye-Fi card?
tunafish

Postby TheBrew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I can't tell you about the iOS4.3 Personal Hotspot feature (since it's not released yet ..NDA) - but I can tell you about the iOS4.2.6 Personal Hotspot that is on the Verizon phones. Let's see if they're the same..

Apple said, in the iPad 2 keynote, that the 4.3 PH will only be available for the iPhone 4.. sadly not the iPad.

On the Verizon phone, the PH will will create a wireless network that clients can join - so it's not an Ad-hoc network. It'll turn your iPhone into a wireless router, sharing your internet connection.
SO, a non-Pro card should be enough. I haven't been able to test it though - I only have Pro cards..

But with the iPhone in your pocket, your iPad and the Eye-Fi card connected to that network, you should be good to go.

I have no idea which solution would be the best, Eye-Fi card using Direct Mode (in the future) or just using the Personal Hotspot. Time will tell.

....but I'll be updating this message when the iOS4.3 is released. ..rumors say today? :)

[UPDATE]: Released! Aah, that was relief - it works very nicely transferring photos from an Eye-Fi card to an iPad through an iPhone 4 with iOS4.3. Works like a charm! ...only wish that the iPad could do this too.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ruffles » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey Brew,

Can you post more info about using the hotspot with an iPhone4? That sounds great. I'm new to all this as I just picked up my iPad this week now that used prices are so low. I've got the Eye-Fi X2 card and my CF adapter is on the way. I played around with shuttersnitch last night on my home network and it worked well. I was just about the order the router from the Rob Galbraith article but if I can use my iPhone 4 instead, that would be awesome.
Ruffles

Postby jarnt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 pm

When I start Personal Hotspot for my iPhone 4 with IOS 4.3 - I get the message "No network connection" in ShutterSnitch.
I have for a long time used MyWi (jailbrake) to direct transmission from EyeFi card to iPhone4 without a router. Does that mean ShutterSnitch and Personal Hotspot in IOS 4.3 does not work together?
jarnt

Postby tunafish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks for the follow up!

Damn, I have an iPhone 3Gs, I am out on the "personal hotspot" feature, iPhone 4 only..
Too bad. A shame the iPad does not do this as well. Not even with a 3G iPad?

Personal Hotspot*
- Share iPhone 4 cellular data connection with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth and 1 USB)
*Requires iPhone 4 with tethering data plan
tunafish

Postby TheBrew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Ruffles wrote:Hey Brew,

Can you post more info about using the hotspot with an iPhone4? That sounds great. I'm new to all this as I just picked up my iPad this week now that used prices are so low. I've got the Eye-Fi X2 card and my CF adapter is on the way. I played around with shuttersnitch last night on my home network and it worked well. I was just about the order the router from the Rob Galbraith article but if I can use my iPhone 4 instead, that would be awesome.

Hi Ruffles,

Well, here's how to get things going:

1. Update the iPhone 4 to iOS4.3 and go to the Settings app where you (depending on your carrier? ouch) should find the "Personal Hotspot" right between "Wifi" and "Notifications". Tap it and enable it.
2. Insert your Eye-Fi card into your computer and open the Eye-Fi Center. Click the little gear to the right of the card in the left pane and add the "XXXXs iPhone" network. Put in the password that is shown / you've set up on the iPhone. Save and put the card back into your camera.
3. Grab your iPad and go to the Settings app. Go to Wifi and join the "XXXXs iPhone" network.
4. Open ShutterSnitch and enter a collection.
5. Take a picture ..and it should arrive.

..The very first time I set mine up, it didn't arrive. I took the card out of the camera and put it in again - and bing, connection, transfer and from then on all the photos arrived / the detection happened instantly. You can even see on the iPhone when the Eye-Fi card is joining the network :) Kinda cute.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 pm

jarnt wrote:When I start Personal Hotspot for my iPhone 4 with IOS 4.3 - I get the message "No network connection" in ShutterSnitch.
I have for a long time used MyWi (jailbrake) to direct transmission from EyeFi card to iPhone4 without a router. Does that mean ShutterSnitch and Personal Hotspot in IOS 4.3 does not work together?

Are you using the latest version of ShutterSnitch (2.0.2)?

You can check this by opening ShutterSnitch, going to the collection overview, tap the Options button in the top left corner and pick "About". The version will be in the window title.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm

tunafish wrote:..Not even with a 3G iPad?..

Yeah, only iPhone 4 :(

I bet a jailbreak would eventually open up for it on all devices though..
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tunafish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Can one use the iPhone 4 to both use the "personal hotspot" feature and receive this pics on the same iPhone 4 with ShutterSnitch?
In that case I might change my 3Gs for the 4, postponing buying the iPad 2 when Eye-Fi releases the "Direct Mode" update.
tunafish

Next

Return to Interesting stuff