Best WiFi card to get?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Best WiFi card to get?

Postby Cw30755 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Hey all, I have been using Shuttersnitch now for years. I have been using it with some old Eye-Fi cards (x2?) that i still use today with the Direct connection access point. I am looking to get a a newer larger card to work with my old Nikon D5100, so I think a 32GB is is largest size I can get. I was surprised at how expensive the Eye-Fi cards are now, and that there is a general lack of WiFi SD cards on the market (well, Amazon anyway, as I am looking to spend some Christmas gift cards).

Looking for a recommendation as to which Wi-Fi cards work best with Shuttersnitch these days. I have been looking at the Toshiba FlashAir W-04 32 GB, and some of the ezShare models. I don't mind having my iPad connect to the SD card's Wifi hotspot (I kind of prefer it now, really). Just looking for a general consensus if there is a certain brand / model that is generally easier, more reliable, etc.

Thanks!
Cw30755

Re: Best WiFi card to get?

Postby TheBrew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:07 pm

My FlashAir W-04 works great ..as long as it's not inside a camera. It could depend on how much the camera body blocks the signal, so maybe you'll have better luck with yours - but if you go for it, make sure you'll be able to return it.

My favourite is probably my Transcend Wi-Fi card, but last time I checked it looked like they were phasing it out with no replacement in sight. :(

I only have one of the very first ez Share cards, and it's OK, I've never had issues with it. I've just always preferred the Transcend one because it sends notifications when new photos are taken. The ez Share and Toshiba cards need to be crawled every so often for "news".
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Note: I don’t have the bad signal issue with a W-03 FlashAir card. It’s slower, but at least it works. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Cw30755 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Yeah, I noticed the Transcend cards were outrageously priced also, and that must explain why the W-03 cards are priced higher than the W-04s. I think I may give the ezShare and whirl and see how it works. Thanks so much for the quick reply.
Cw30755

Postby jayce103 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Cw30755 wrote:Yeah, I noticed the Transcend cards were outrageously priced also, and that must explain why the W-03 cards are priced higher than the W-04s. I think I may give the ezShare and whirl and see how it works. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I too am sad that the eye fi cards have gone as never had an issue with it. I looked at transcend but price equalled no and ezshare seemed a like unknown so went for Toshiba 04. It took rime getting it to work but does ok in fuji and Sony but I don’t have faith In it like the eyefi cards. I do tend to use the canon built in wifi for photobooth and Sony for sports with the 04 card as back up
jayce103

Return to Other Questions