EOS R shuttersnitch registration multiple devices

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

EOS R shuttersnitch registration multiple devices

Postby egonschurter » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:22 am

On my Canon EOS R I would like to use "wireless tethered shooting" to shuttersnitch to my iPhone or to my iPad. However I can register only one instance of shuttersnitch on the camera. If I try to add an iOS-Connection in WIFI-Settings it basically just changes the existing shuttersnitch connection, leading to misbehaviour. When connection to EOS Utility on an MacOS client the "device" seems to be identified by mac address or host name. Am I wrong assuming, that shuttersnitch app acts like a host with the same identity across all instances?
egonschurter

Re: EOS R shuttersnitch registration multiple devices

Postby TheBrew » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 pm

Correct, ShutterSnitch identifies as 'ShutterSnitch' when connecting over PTP/IP.

I remember running into settings-weirdness some years ago - and changing the name didn't make any difference. The camera I was working with (don't remember which one it was, doh..) was probably using the MAC address as the actual unique ID when saving its settings.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:15 pm

I understand. So I probably have to stick to one shuttersnitch device per camera. Or do you see a possible workaround I could try?
egonschurter

Postby TheBrew » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

I'll try adding a setting to the next version that'll let you have ShutterSnitch identify with the device name instead in case that would fix it. I'll post back when it's out and let you know how to turn it on!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Alright, 4.8.2 is out. Since I don't think it'll help (I still had issues when I tried with mine - but who knows, maybe you find a way :) I added the option as a configuration setting that is not part of the regular UI.

I've attached two configuration files. One to Enable and one to Disable and turn things back to the regular 'ShutterSnitch' name.

When you open the Enable ssconfig in ShutterSnitch on your device, it'll start using the iOS device name instead (The one you have in the Settings app -> General -> About -> Name.) You only need to import the setting once. And don't mind the red "Overwrites Settings" warning - it only overwrites that one setting.

Update: Looks like iOS 13 continues its mission of making everything really hard, confusing, and a fight to do just about anything. So the simple task of opening a file is now this complicated:
1. Tap each file and download them.
2. Tap the downloads-button in the top right-hand corner to see the files.
3. Tap the file you want to open.
4. Tap the arrow-going-out-of-a-box.
5. Swipe to the right in the list of app icons. If ShutterSnitch is not there, tap the More [...] button on the right.
6. Find and Tap Open in ShutterSnitch
7. Congratulations, you're there. Simple!
8. Take long, deep breaths. It can only get better. It can only get better. It can only get better..

(Compare that to iOS 12: Tap the file, tap ‘Open in ShutterSnitch’.)

Aaanyway, if it actually makes things work, let me know and I'll make it a "real" setting in the app. :)
Attachments
PTPIPUseDeviceName_Disable.ssconfig
Disable
(281 Bytes) Downloaded 151 times
PTPIPUseDeviceName_Enable.ssconfig
Enable
(281 Bytes) Downloaded 153 times
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:17 pm

Sorry, I must have missed the notification email when you wrote the instructions. Thanks a lot for taking the time for explaining it. I will try when I get 'home'.
egonschurter

Postby egonschurter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm

I have tested the configuration setting with 4.8.2. Pairing now really shows the devices name instead of shuttersnitch.
The bad news is, that the camera still seems to treat all shuttersnitch instances as one.
For example if I connect first to shuttersnitch on my iPad and then try to pair the camera with shuttersnitch on my iPhone, there remains just one "iOS"-connection with the name iPad, even if it is now connected to the iphone.
I double checked the behaviour with canon's camera connect iOS app and there it is different. With camera connect it is possible to pair with multiple (tested 2) instances of the app on different devices.
But camera connect is not an option for me.
It would be really cool to find a solution to this. I could send a video of the issue, if that could be any help.
egonschurter

Return to Other Questions