Photobooth Question

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Photobooth Question

Postby elliment18 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello

I'm running a photobooth and am curious about a possible scenario before purchasing this app. I want the booth to be completely automatic. I want to use a canon 6d to wirelessly connect to an Ipad running shuttersnitch. I want shuttersnitch to then run a couple tasks at the same time. Can it then watermark these images and upload them to facebook automatically, export images to a projector for a live auto updating slideshow, and allow people to use the ipad to show there friends the images while the slideshow plays in the background. Would shuttersnitch be able to complete all these tasks? I understand processing power might be an issue and I would be willing to upgrade to the ipad air if need be.
Thank you for your time
Ryan
elliment18

Re: Photobooth Question

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Yes. ..I can't promise too much about Facebook since it's an ever changing pain in the behind, but ShutterSnitch supports watermarking and then exporting to (one) Facebook account (or other places). If you need to get creative about multiple accounts, that can either be done via Facebook (allowing your account to post to other accounts) or ifttt.

Here's how I'd do it:
1. Set up a watermark. (Collection overview -> Options -> Watermark)
2. Set up an action to export to Facebook and turn on watermarking. (When inside a collection with photos, tap the gear-button, add a new task and pick "Export to location", add your Facebook account, authenticate, pick "Pre-processing" and turn on watermarking. Then make sure that the action is performed when receiving new files by moving the slider on the right.)
3. Turn on the slideshow using AirPlay to an Apple TV. (Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, tap AirPlay, pick the Apple TV and turn on Mirroring. Back in the ShutterSnitch collection tap the tool button, pick Slideshow, and make sure only the external screen has a check mark - if you don't see an option to pick between the iPad screen and the external screen, you haven't started the AirPlay mirroring yet.).
4. To avoid having people exit the collection or do other things than just browse, turn on the Limited Mode. (Tool button, Limited Mode. I'd personally also turn on the triple-Home-button-click option to keep people inside the app. Settings -> General -> Guided Access.)

As you point out, yes, this will put a bit of a load on the iPad, so it's good that you've prepared yourself for the possibility of a hardware upgrade if the speed isn't satisfactory (or the amount of memory used will cause it to crash). :)

Looks like my parentheses quota is spent for 2013. Happy New Year!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby elliment18 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:01 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
You have been extremely helpful and I cannot thank you enough for such a quick and thorough response.
Happy New Year :)
elliment18

Postby elliment18 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:07 pm

I do have another question however.

I currently do not own an apple TV and will be using a projector that only allows vga inputs. Could/Should I use a lighting-vga adapter to connect the ipad to the projector, or would I get more processing power out of the ipad by purchasing an apple TV and using the lighting port to power the ipad?

Thank you again for your wisdom.
Ryan
elliment18

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 pm

A direct cable from the iPad to a projector would take some load off the processor. If the iPad is fixed in place, that would probably be the best solution.

For some crazy reason I was just imagining people passing the iPad around. That's why I was thinking wireless AirPlay to an Apple TV. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby elliment18 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 am

Hey

I just wanted to update and let you all know what I did. First, the equipment I'm using and how I'm using it.

Canon 6D (built in wireless)
iPad Air
Apple TV
Projector/Screen
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I am finally able to avoid using my computer all together and just use the iPad's processing power to run a complex photo booth. I wanted to have the Canon 6D wirelessly transfer photos to my iPad and use shuttersnitch to run a slideshow on the projector while letting attendants view their own photos on the iPad. And all this while ShutterSnitch uploads the photos to facebook so the attendants can quick make those photos their profile pictures. ShutterSnitch works PERFECTLY for this application! Unfortunately, because I was using an Apple TV to allow a completely wireless situation and Apple TV requires a WIFI network to operate, I had to use my phone's built in mobile hotspot to connect all the devices. Thus, instead of using "theBrew"s typical Canon 6D connection, I just connected via Infrastructure Mode. This allowed my Canon 6D, iPad Air, and Apple TV to all connect to my phone and operate wirelessly. The result is a super snappy, very cool photo booth.

I do have one question though. Could I connect a second camera with an eye fi card? Or can shuttersnitch only connect to one wireless camera at a time?
Thanks!
elliment18

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 am

Sounds great. :)

Yes, ShutterSnitch supports receiving from multiple different sources at one time.

But be sure that it's not an Eye-Fi mobi card you use. They only work in Direct Mode, which creates a private network between the card and the iOS device. Instead get an X2 card and you'll be fine.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TattooedMac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:08 am

elliment18 wrote:I am finally able to avoid using my computer all together and just use the iPad's processing power to run a complex photo booth. I wanted to have the Canon 6D wirelessly transfer photos to my iPad and use shuttersnitch to run a slideshow on the projector while letting attendants view their own photos on the iPad. And all this while ShutterSnitch uploads the photos to facebook so the attendants can quick make those photos their profile pictures. ShutterSnitch works PERFECTLY for this application! Unfortunately, because I was using an Apple TV to allow a completely wireless situation and Apple TV requires a WIFI network to operate, I had to use my phone's built in mobile hotspot to connect all the devices. Thus, instead of using "theBrew"s typical Canon 6D connection, I just connected via Infrastructure Mode. This allowed my Canon 6D, iPad Air, and Apple TV to all connect to my phone and operate wirelessly. The result is a super snappy, very cool photo booth.

I do have one question though. Could I connect a second camera with an eye fi card? Or can shuttersnitch only connect to one wireless camera at a time?
Thanks!

WOW thats a awesome setup. I love reading about things like this, and to 2ndNature for such a great App as ShutterSnitch is.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller
TattooedMac

Postby syd » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:50 am

TheBrew wrote:...
Here's how I'd do it:
1. Set up a watermark. (Collection overview -> Options -> Watermark)
2. Set up an action to export to Facebook and turn on watermarking. (When inside a collection with photos, tap the gear-button, add a new task and pick "Export to location", add your Facebook account, authenticate, pick "Pre-processing" and turn on watermarking. Then make sure that the action is performed when receiving new files by moving the slider on the right.)
3. Turn on the slideshow using AirPlay to an Apple TV. (Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, tap AirPlay, pick the Apple TV and turn on Mirroring. Back in the ShutterSnitch collection tap the tool button, pick Slideshow, and make sure only the external screen has a check mark - if you don't see an option to pick between the iPad screen and the external screen, you haven't started the AirPlay mirroring yet.).
4. To avoid having people exit the collection or do other things than just browse, turn on the Limited Mode. (Tool button, Limited Mode. I'd personally also turn on the triple-Home-button-click option to keep people inside the app. Settings -> General -> Guided Access.)
Looks like my parentheses quota is spent for 2013. Happy New Year!

This is still working fine in 2016 with iOS 10 - excellent coding!
syd

Return to Other Questions