Ipad kiosk and background running

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Ipad kiosk and background running

Postby srb » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi

I am interested in your product. I am trying to solve a problem and wondering if Shuttersnitch is a solution.

I do event photography with my camera tethered to my PC laptop with a USB cable. I need to send the photos as the come into a folder on the laptop to the iPad. The iPad will be used as a client station so they can view photos etc.
The problem is I need to use a kiosk software software on the foreground on the iPad, so Shuttersntich would need to run in the background of the iPad.
What I have learned only some apps can continuously run in the background (mostly Apple's). Other apps only can run for a select period of time before they get suspended.
Just curious if your app can run in the background continuously and would be usable in the above scenario?
srb

Re: Ipad kiosk and background running

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Sorry, Apple only allows apps such as ShutterSnitch to run up to 3 minutes in the background to get ready for "the big freeze".

I wish it wasn't so and have actively tried to be allowed this (for a backpack mode for example), but they're impossible to convince. :(
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby srb » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:09 pm

TheBrew wrote:Sorry, Apple only allows apps such as ShutterSnitch to run up to 3 minutes in the background to get ready for "the big freeze".

I wish it wasn't so and have actively tried to be allowed this (for a backpack mode for example), but they're impossible to convince. :(

Haha yes they are =|

I had a similar issue with the Eye-Fi mobi pro card. I used it in my laptop to send files to the iPad. Works great, but only in the background for the 3 min's then nothing.
Oh well good to know.
Thanks for the help!
srb

Postby runbuh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 pm

For the people who develop the iOS version of this app: what background modes have you selected in Xcode? Seems like Location updates, External Accessory Communication, Background Fetch, and Remote Notifications ought to be selected, which might help when running this thing in the background. I have this problem and have an event I'd like to support next Friday (Friday before the Super Bowl). Any chance I can test something for you in time for this event?

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... ution.html
runbuh

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:18 pm

It's no problem making ShutterSnitch run in the background.

But Apple won't approve it if it does.

In fact it had a "Backpack Mode" feature for some time ..until I got "the call".
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby runbuh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Dang.

What about the "External Accessory" background mode? Would that fly with Apple (and does that even do what we want)?

Communicating with an External Accessory
Apps that work with external accessories can ask to be woken up if the accessory delivers an update when the app is suspended. This support is important for some types of accessories that deliver data at regular intervals, such as heart-rate monitors. You enable support for external accessory communication from the Background modes section of the Capabilities tab in your Xcode project. (You can also enable this support by including the UIBackgroundModes key with the external-accessory value in your app’s Info.plist file.) When you enable this mode, the external accessory framework does not close active sessions with accessories. (In iOS 4 and earlier, these sessions are closed automatically when the app is suspended.) When new data arrives from the accessory, the framework wakes your app so that it can process that data. The system also wakes the app to process accessory connection and disconnection notifications.

Any app that supports the background processing of accessory updates must follow a few basic guidelines:

Apps must provide an interface that allows the user to start and stop the delivery of accessory update events. That interface should then open or close the accessory session as appropriate.
Upon being woken up, the app has around 10 seconds to process the data. Ideally, it should process the data as fast as possible and allow itself to be suspended again. However, if more time is needed, the app can use the beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler: method to request additional time; it should do so only when absolutely necessary, though.
runbuh

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 pm

The "External Accessories" they're talking about are MFi accessories. So no dice.

I've spent a lot of days trying to fight for this. To no avail.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby runbuh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Sorry to dredge it all back up.
How about Split View support?
runbuh

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 pm

The current version supports multitasking (apps side-by-side) if that's what you mean?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby runbuh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Must. Learn. To. Read.
(before asking questions already covered)
runbuh

Next

Return to Other Questions