export action to 2nd iPad configuration?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

export action to 2nd iPad configuration?

Postby ELinder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:37 pm

I've successfully gotten Shuttersnitch on my receiving iPad to export photos as they are received to a second iPad also running Shuttersnitch. Am I correct that it can only send them to a currently open collection on the second iPad, or is that what the "put in coll folder" option in FTP is for? If so, how do I configure that?

What I'd really like to do is have that second iPad running Shuttesnitch with separate collections for each day of an event so people can look at all the photos in any collection while the primary Shuttersnitch keeps exporting to the current day collection on the second Shuttersnitch.

Erich
ELinder

Re: export action to 2nd iPad configuration?

Postby TheBrew » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:06 am

The "Put in coll. folder" option will put the uploaded file in a subfolder at the path you upload to, with the name of the collection you're currently in. So no, that's not what you're looking for.

Entering a collection activates the receiver-services, exiting turns them off.

When you enter a collection in ShutterSnitch you're essentially telling it "this is where incoming photos will go".

So if people are using the second iPad while you're shooting, there's a good chance the services will either be off (because they've exited a collection) or files be received into a wrong collection.
You could set up an action to make sure incoming photos are moved to the current-day collection, but it still wouldn't avoid the issue with the services being down if they exit to the collection overview.

In short, what you're looking for is just not how ShutterSnitch works. And sadly it's not economicly viable for me to do a major rewrite. If only the same volume of customers were prepared to pay $50-$100 for apps..
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ELinder » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Darn, I was afraid of that.

I don't know about anyone else, but if you were to write a "pro" version of Shuttersnitch marketed to working photographers and journalists that incorporates the suggested features you've received so far but not implemented I'd be more than willing to buy copies at that price range. Shuttersnitch is by far my most useful iOS program when I'm working a horse show.

Have you considered surveying existing users to measure interest? You'd be automating the workflow that many event photogs pay someone to do at a show, so I think you may be surprised how many would be interested. Even as is, the people sitting next to me (trainers, family, and friends of the riders) while I shoot are thrilled at being able to see the photos as soon as I take them.

A pro version would greatly help make on-site event sales possible for one man operations like mine. That's what I've been trying to set up for future shows with all the questions lately. I'm setting up a remote iPad Pro for photo viewing with another smaller iPad next to it running the Square register so people can order photos on their own including swiping credit cards, debit cards, and use Apple Pay on the spot. As is they can buy that day's photos since that is the active collection, but being able to see other collections, or even create folders or subsections in an active collection, would greatly expand potential sales.

Erich
ELinder

Postby TheBrew » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:13 pm

The current version of ShutterSnitch is the Pro and there will only ever be one version. :)

Back in January I added a Tip Jar option for those who wanted to tip for the 5 years of free updates. It was partly to see if it would be a feasible way of paying for future work on ShutterSnitch and partly to gauge if people appreciated the work I did on keeping things up-to-date / supporting you here on the forum / fixing bugs as quickly as possible.

So far 50 people have tipped. A total of $225. Don't get me wrong - a huge thanks to those good people. But it kind of brought things into perspective.

I'm afraid that until Apple adds upgrade-pricing to the App Store I'll just have to keep the same pace with the occasional features and fixes. Got to weigh the time spent with the income so I can put some food on the table.

I do think it'd be neat to have a way to mirror one iPad with others, so hopefully I'll one day get some time to work on that!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ELinder » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:41 pm

You may want to consider a 'enter your own amount' for the tip jar. I would have entered a full license price since I'm using 2 copies on 2 iPads, but I didn't see a way to buy another full one, so I used the maximum tip available.

I can imagine you were disappointed by the response, that's probably why so many programmers have different versions available that need to be repurchased. Thanks for the continued updates!

Erich
ELinder

Postby TheBrew » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 pm

You can tip as many times as you want. ..I guess I needed/need to make that more clear. :)

Not disappointed. I didn't really expect any tips, so more than zero is nice. But if I had gotten a lot, it would definitely have motivated me to put more time into future updates / features.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions