Connecting via Cellular

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Connecting via Cellular

Postby OaklandJoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi ShutterSnitch,
I am unable to use an action that uploads a photo to Flickr using cellular data. I noticed in the Settings > Cellular Data panel, ShutterSnitch does not appear in the list. Is this not supported functionality?

thanks,
Joe
OaklandJoe

Re: Connecting via Cellular

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:31 pm

ShutterSnitch will work just fine with your cellular connection.

But only if that's the only network connection available. If you're connected to a wi-fi network that will be the only network iOS offers to ShutterSnitch to use.

If that wi-fi network is a closed one, such as an Eye-Fi Direct Mode network or an ad-hoc camera network, then the app won't have access to the Internet.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby OaklandJoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Oh, man... bummer. So it sounds like I can't use my phone as a wireless conduit to the cloud without fiddling with the settings continuously. That was what I was hoping for.

Thanks,
Joe
OaklandJoe

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

There could be a way around it - what camera/card/setup do you have?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby OaklandJoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Nikon D750
OaklandJoe

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:07 pm

OK, yeah, sorry, that's a totally closed connection. Quick and uncomplicated, but not open to tinkering.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby OaklandJoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:14 pm

If I use an EyeFi Mobi Pro SD card, would it improve the situation in any way?
OaklandJoe

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Yes - if your cellular provider allows you to turn on the Personal Hotspot on your phone you can have the Eyefi card join that and ShutterSnitch will have access to both the card and the cellular connection.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby OaklandJoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Verizon in the US is my carrier. I do get the pesonal hotspot feature.

Will this work the same way in other cameras that support the EyeFi card, assuming the user also has personal hotspot data? (Seems like it would - hopefully). I ask because I have other photographers on my team who will need a similar setup, but they don't have a D750.
OaklandJoe

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Yes. Before you commit to buying a bunch of Eyefi cards, try getting a Transcend Wi-Fi card to compare the ease of use / speed.

I like both, but the new Eyefi cards add a bit more setup and can be harder to troubleshoot.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions