OS X Server and Shuttersnitch

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

OS X Server and Shuttersnitch

Postby Habit » Thu May 12, 2016 8:29 am

Hi
I'm using shuttersnitch for a few years now in my photobooth with my Nikon D5200 and an iPad. I want to add an printer, but the D5200 with the WU-1a allow me only to connect one WLAN device to the camera (=the iPad). I had the idea to tether the camera to my mac and make a ftp server there (with OS X Server for El Capitan). I tried to make an FTP server and i could do it and "access" it with the iPad (connect with safari and see no error message -> more isn't possible to check it said the apple tech support).
The apple tech said me, that they use port 21 and i set this in the shuttersnitch settings also with the user snitch and my password. I don't see pictures, when I put jpg in the ftp-folder. Can someone help me?
Thank you!
Habit
Habit

Re: OS X Server and Shuttersnitch

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 am

That's not going to work. ShutterSnitch doesn't pull files from FTP servers - it runs an FTP server that you can push files to.

But.. You just gave me an idea. I might be able to put together an application that simulates a wi-fi card. You could then run that app in your Mac and ShutterSnitch should be able to detect it and pull new files from it.

I'm a little busy today but if I get the time I'll take a look at it tonight and post back my findings.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Habit » Thu May 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Ah, I missunderstand this ^^.
Such an APP would be nice! Last week at the event was my photobooth very slow. I think it was beacause so many WLAN where around. Normally a picture takes 1-2 seconds to transfer (LowRes JPEG) but then it was 10-15sec...
Yes please write your findings...
Habit

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 12, 2016 9:24 pm

What software do you use to receive the photos on your Mac when you connect to the WU?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Habit » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 am

My example with the long transfer time was with the Wu and Shuttersnitch. When I will use a Mac I want to use Capture One with an USB connection to the camera.
Habit

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 am

Oh, I thought you had some software that could get the files via the WU network. :)

I have another busy day ahead of me, but I'll post back some thoughts tonight. So far I have a concept "WiFiCardSimulator" Mac application working.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Alright, I have a working setup now. I can join the WU network on the Mac, make sure the Mac and iOS device is on the same network and ShutterSnitch will download new files via the Mac application.

The potential hurdles:

Since the Nikon WU network is 192.168.1.x, the network that the Mac and iOS device is on must be a different one. A matter of changing the DHCP setting on the wi-fi router to hand out 192.168.10.x addresses instead.
    If your Mac doesn't have an ethernet cable connection to your router you'll have to get a wi-fi dongle.
    Not as fast as connecting the iOS device directly to the WU network because the photos are effectively going through two transfer-steps instead of one.

The application is far from done, but at least I can confirm it'll work.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat May 14, 2016 12:11 pm

It struck me that you should be able to do all this using your camera, iPad, a Lightning to USB adapter, and a USB to ethernet adapter.

I don't have a Lightning to USB adapter yet, so I haven't been able to test it though.

But I think it'll work as long as your wired network isn't a 192.168.1.x network. I'll confirm as soon as I get my hands on an adapter.

Edit: Hm. Maybe this only works on the iPad Pro / newer iOS devices. I just ordered one, so I'll know in little over a week.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Habit » Sun May 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I don't know if I understand you right. I think the setup should be this way:
Camera - USB to - Mac (Thether to a folder. This could be any SW you like (Lightroom, Nikon, Capture One) - then the Shuttersnitch Transmitter on the Mac (choose this folder and send the JPEG in it to the iPad) --- WLAN or even better USB ;-) --- iPad with Shuttersnitch

A USB Connection between iPad and Camera would be nice. If this would work i have the WLAN free to connect to the server and/or Internet. I'm very interested in your findings about this setup.
Habit

Postby TheBrew » Sat May 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Boy, that took some time. Turns out iOS devices don't support the USB network adapter I had, so I had to wait for an extra delivery of an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter.

I just received it, and yes, I can confirm it works. I wrote a little how-to and attached a picture to better visualize it.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions