Can ShutterSnitch FTP to Email?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Can ShutterSnitch FTP to Email?

Postby theDaveB » Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi,

We are interested in getting ShutterSnitch for our picture desk when out and about and need to send pics.

We need to enable to FTP to our server, view images, edit captions (if need be, not always needed), pick all or a selection of images and email them.

Can this be done? I have watched videos and looked at screenshots but need to be sure before I recommend it.

Dave
theDaveB

Re: Can ShutterSnitch FTP to Email?

Postby TheBrew » Mon May 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes, you can do all that (and a little more :).
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby theDaveB » Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 am

Cheers, we are going to buy it for a couple of iPads and see how we get on.

Dave
theDaveB

Postby theDaveB » Thu May 26, 2016 2:12 pm

TheBrew wrote:Yes, you can do all that (and a little more :).

Hi,

Can you let me know how we FTP into our server from it please?

Bought it yesterday for a few iPads but none of us can work it out.

EDIT: I see you have posted this elsewhere -

ShutterSnitch doesn't pull files from FTP servers - it runs an FTP server that you can push files to

Thats what we want to do, connect to our FTP server and you said it would work.

Dave
theDaveB

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 26, 2016 2:22 pm

1. Transfer some photos to a collection.
2. Tap the button with an arrow going out of it and then tap a photo to select it.
3. Tap the arrow in the toolbar and select "Other location".
4. Add your FTP server and hit the back button. Now tapping the FTP location will transfer the photo(s) you previously selected.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby theDaveB » Thu May 26, 2016 3:54 pm

I have done that and added our FTP but didn't understand - Now tapping the FTP location will transfer the photo(s) you previously selected

I want to use our FTP to get photos into Shutter Snitch, so we can edit the captions and email them out.

Dave
theDaveB

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Aha, all through our conversation I've read the "FTP to our server" as transferring files to your FTP server.

You're out of luck then, sorry. In the receipt mail you get from Apple, you can click the "Report issue" link and ask Apple for your money back.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby theDaveB » Thu May 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Oh right, no sorry probably my fault for not explaining properly.

We need to FTP to our server, see the images, edit/view caption and then email them out.

What if we used a separate FTP app (we already have transmit) to get the images from our FTP onto our iPad, I presume we could then import them into your app and carry on as normal?

As a feature request, you could add FTP as a import option :-)

Dave
theDaveB

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes, you could set up a server in Transmit that points to the iOS device itself and transfer the downloaded files that way.

Apple has spent a lot of time making sure apps don't run for too long in the background though. They only get up to 3 minutes these days. If your local transfers take longer than that, make sure you multi-task back to ShutterSnitch for a moment, and then back again to Transmit. That way to buy another 3 minutes. :)

Here's a screenshot of the setup that worked for me. (Password is the Super User password you set during the initial launch of ShutterSnitch.)
Attachments
IMG_4522.jpg
IMG_4522.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby theDaveB » Thu May 26, 2016 6:39 pm

No I don't think am explaining properly.

We have a FTP server hosted on the internet, photographers from around the world FTP images to us.

We want to download them images on our iPads to edit/view captions and then email them out to newspapers/magazines.

At the moment we do it on our Macs using FTP software (to download the images) and Lightroom (to edit captions).

We now want to also use our iPads to do the same.

So am thinking if I use Transmit to connect to our FTP server (which we have already tried and works fine)
Download the images from transmit onto our iPad
Import the images into ShutterSnitch and edit/view captions and them email out

Dave
theDaveB

Next

Return to Other Questions