Maximum Image size

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Maximum Image size

Postby Burgy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or user error but when I transfer images to ShutterSnitch from my 1dx via wfte6 everything's fine except the image size, no matter what settings I try it is always 2172x1448 pixels' as I want to be able to ftp pix from pitch side and this is without any cropping, the image size is to small for print and even online use. Any ideas?

Many thanks
Burgy

Re: Maximum Image size

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm very conscious of not changing your files, so unless you're watermarking or resizing them the original bytes should stay the same. (Well, updating metadata for example will change the metadata itself, but not the bits of the image itself.)

So I'm thinking either the camera resizes the photo before sending it? Or if you're accessing the transferred photo by saving it to the Photos app, Apple's been known to not serve you the original file - they prioritize speed over the original bytes.

How are you discovering that the size changes? How are you extracting the photos from ShutterSnitch?

If you want direct access to the *exact* bytes transferred by the camera, try connecting to ShutterSnitch via an FTP client. You can then download a file and compare that to the one on your card.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Burgy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:44 pm

My workflow is tag on the back of the camera, SS Action then renames, adds metadata, then saves to camera roll. I then use either Photogene⁴ or picture pro to open the image , both of which report the image size as 2172x 1448. Obviously when the image us cropped it becomes smaller still, customise the caption', crop & then ftp to client,
Burgy

Postby Burgy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Ok have tried ftp from SS direct and it appears to be the full size file, now I have to work out where things are going wrong in between SS & PicturePro or Photogene⁴

Thanks
Burgy

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Saving to the camera roll is a very good way to lose original data. It became better over time, but I still wouldn't trust it.

Other ways to move the files around is to tap and hold the photo in the filmstrip and "Share" / "Open in..".

Or even better - dragging and dropping when iOS 11 is released. Hopefully that'll happen within the next couple of weeks.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Burgy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Ok thanks, I have been in touch with the authors of PicturePro, but no response from them. Hopefully a resolution soon. Unfortunely there is no "Share With" option to choose PicturePro :(

Many thanks ( I am just about to upgrade to a an iPad Pro will there be any new developments in SS for OS11?

Once again thanks for the quick responses.
Burgy

Postby TheBrew » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Burgy wrote:I am just about to upgrade to a an iPad Pro will there be any new developments in SS for OS11?

You're going to love the iPad Pro. It's amazing.

I almost can't feel my fingers from the all-waking-hours-of-the-last-months of getting ShutterSnitch 4.0 ready for the iOS 11 release. ..So yes.. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Burgy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Ok did a full reset on the ipad & the camera & wft-6 etc. Now reconnected and the problem seems to be if the action task is automatically carried out & saves to the camera roll it resizes to 2172 x 1448 pixels. However if you turn it off, and go into the collection and call the action (I have it on my customised tool bar) it resaves the image at it's native 5184 x 3456 pixels.

I will have a bit more of a play, but having tried it 4 or 5 times it seems repeatable.
Burgy

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

How do you verify the saved size? And are you saving raw files or jpegs?

There's no difference between running the action manually vs automatically, so that sounds a bit strange.

Could you try tapping and holding the action task and then select 'Copy' from the popup menu. Then paste that in a post here?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Burgy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 am

I am only working with jpg files, if I then open in photogene then check the exif details it reports the file size as being the full size file. It also is reporting the same in PicturePro I will retry it again this morning.

shuttersnitch://?addActionPreset=%7B%22name%22:%22New%20task%22,%22actions%22:%5B%7B%22Type%22:0,%22updateValues%22:%7B%22Geolocation%22:%7B%22Checked%22:false%7D%7D%7D,%7B%22Type%22:8,%22formular%22:%7B%22pattern%22:%5B%7B%22type%22:1%7D,%7B%22type%22:6,%22text%22:%22%20%22%7D,%7B%22type%22:2%7D%5D%7D%7D,%7B%22Type%22:2%7D%5D%7D
Burgy

Next

Return to Other Questions