WiFi Card Recommendations

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

WiFi Card Recommendations

Postby ATJ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:09 am

I'm looking for recommendations for WiFi cards for my D500.

I was using the original EyeFi card with ShutterSnitch for some time and was very happy with the combination. I upgraded to the EyeFi Mobi and regret that very much as it is so unreliable and drains the battery on my D7000. EyeFi are no longer in business so the card isn't going to get fixed.

The D500 has SnapBridge but that doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as ShutterSnitch for transferring files so I want to get a WiFi card for the camera.

What are people happy with?
ATJ

Re: WiFi Card Recommendations

Postby TheBrew » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

I spend all my time seated in front of my computer working on ShutterSnitch, so I don't have any experience with range / general stability, but I can offer a little info on the technical side. If anyone else is reading along, please share your real-life experiences. :)

I've attached a chart of their capabilities. Needs a little explanation:

HTTP HEAD requests are useful for detecting duplicate files. Range requests are used for retrieving correctly oriented/cropped thumbnails. Both features of the upcoming 4.0 release.

ShutterSnitch will automatically check for new files every ~4 seconds, but the Transcend Wi-Fi card can trigger a check when a new file is added.

Toshiba seems to be the ones most actively working on their cards / offering users a lot of options to tinker with.
Attachments
wificardschart.png
wificardschart.png (45.85 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ATJ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for that.
ATJ

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am

Follow-up: I just got a chance to try out a Toshiba FlashAir W-04, and that takes the crown. Super fast transfers. Get that one. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ATJ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:00 am

I bought a Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (before I saw your recommendation) and so far I hate it. It seems less reliable and much less flexible than the EyeFi Mobi.

It is faster than the EyeFi in AP mode but slower in STA mode (I prefer to use STA mode).

The biggest problem I have is that it powers off the network while transferring unless I have the timeouts set to a very long time. When I'm not transferring, the network stays on (both in AP and STA modes) even when the camera goes to standby mode. But when transferring, it powers off part way through the transfer and the transfer times out. In a number of cases it has actually hung my camera completely and I've had to remove the battery to get the camera back.

I really miss the multiple network capabilities of the EyeFi cards.
ATJ

Return to Other Questions