Editing reduces the size of pictures

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Editing reduces the size of pictures

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am

Hi, i have the problem: the photo is 10 MB . When I export it without any editing - is still 10 MB. But if I add a bit of editing (for example, I change only the brightness a little) - after export the picture is 3,5 MB.
I us iPad Pro 9,7; newest iOS, camera - Fujifilm X-Pro2. I this case I export photos to MP Pro by Airdrop.
Andree

Re: Editing reduces the size of pictures

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 am

When cropping / editing, the result will be a re-compressed JPEG with a compression quality of 70.

A quality of 80 would probably result in a size of 5MB and 90 a size of perhaps 7 or 8. It’s about finding a balance between size and quality though. If the result of a 70 is imperceptible from 80 or 90, I’m really just wasting the space available on your device.

Do you see a big difference in quality?

A side note: When you do a regular export, it’ll be of the edited file. If you want to export the original file + embedded XMP edits, pick the ‘Don’t Pre-process’ option under ‘Pre-process’ when editing the location. Opening a file with embedded edits in Photoshop will, depending on the configuration, present the Camera Raw plugin with those edits applied.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you for explanation. But - Is it possible to add the option of choosing the degree of compression? Your app can be now the only professional application for a photojournalist, 100% compression is sometimes required.
There are also a few fields missing in IPTC, and the possibility of creating IPTC patterns (templates). It's very important for photojournalists, it would be great if you could add it.
Andree

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

And one more thing: I can't add IPTC for RAW files. After export RAW and import in LR I see RAW with all changes from SS, its great. Is there possible to add IPTC editing in RAW files?
RAW is from Canon 1Dx
Andree

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Funny you should mention that - advanced metadata editing is actually the next add-on I had in mind.

It may take some time though. The Image Adjustments for example took 3 months of non-stop work ..and I need a breather right now.. :)

Yes, I think I'll add a setting to let you adjust the compression quality. That'll be in version 4.1.1. Thanks for bringing it up.

ShutterSnitch doesn't change raw files at all, but now that it creates XMP files for edits, it does open up for the opportunity to add IPTC metadata to those. So that'll most likely be part of the metadata add-on.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Very, very nice to read It !!
Andree

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:50 pm

In the last few materials, I used the SS as the only photo editor.I have a few comments

1. IPTC. it would be good if the IPTC preset (Action Task - update metadata - edit) could be copied. Sometimes you have to change the data in a few fields, now you have to fill all the fields again. Filling Keywords could be easier in one field using commas (without "plus" "add" for each word. I miss the IPTC fields: IPTC Status/Title; IPTC Image/ Date Created, City, State/Province, Country; Copyright Status. Geolocation adds only the coordinates of the place, without a name.

2. Is it possible to add a function in the editor so that after cropping - the cropped picture fills the screen? And Is it possible for the editor to go to the next image without leaving the editor?
3. Share/Export: Could you add "Choose edited / unedited" and "sent / unsent"? It speeds up the work very much if, after editing some photos, I can with one click select all the edited photos, send them and then go back to the unedited ones, edit and send the less urgent ones.
4. By the way: export of several photos to ftp works well as Action but does not work well using Menu-Share-Other Location (only one, the first photo from several is exported)
5. A workflow ideal for me: I import photos into a gallery with an action that adds previously prepared IPTC (it is already there). In the gallery view, I can choose edited / unedited and sent / un-send pictures. I go into the editor and I can edit the next photos without leaving the editor (going to the next with the swipe on the screen). I leave the editor, I have the option to complete the IPTC description (as I do now) and enter the export screen. Again, I have the option to choosing of editing / unedited and sent / unsend and exporting.
I'm not a programmer, I do not know how complicated the introduction of such changes is. Consider this as a voice in the discussion from the photographer who has been looking for a perfect program for a long time. My remarks are only trifles that perhaps would help press photographers at work, but SS is already an excellent program. And I'm sorry for English, I have to help myself with a translator
Andree

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank you for your input, I'll keep it in mind!

Andree wrote:4. By the way: export of several photos to ftp works well as Action but does not work well using Menu-Share-Other Location (only one, the first photo from several is exported)

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly - are you saying when you export photos via Other Location -> an FTP location, it only exports the first file?

I just tested it here, and mine transfers all the files I select. Can you elaborate a little on this issue?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Andree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Excuse me. I have not used this option after the last update, I have now checked it and worked properly.
Andree

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Good :) Thanks!
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions