Nikon D750 tethering via ipad and shuttersnitch

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Nikon D750 tethering via ipad and shuttersnitch

Postby stan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Nikon D750 with built-in wifi sends photos wirelessly to ipad. The ipad is set-up for wifi-comms with camera. The ipad then display photos in the shuttersnitch-app and so far it all works beautifully. I then want the photos to be sent on via airplay to the Apple-TV. The Apple-TV is then connected to the TV via hdmi. The general idea is to take a photo with the camera and then display the photo in the TV.

Problem is that the airplay-connection from ipad to Apple-TV does not work. With an ipad3 it works two times out of ten, With an ipad4 it never works. If I change wifi-settings in ipad from camera to home-wifi-net the communication ipad-AppleTV works all the time but then of course I have no connection with the camera and hence tethering is impossible.

There are three strange things here 1) Why does it work sometimes with ipad3? 2) When I run this via an iphone 5S with ios 11.2.2 and the same app it works beautifully every time 3) When I run this via Galaxy S7 and Samsung chromecast it works beautifully every time

Anyone have a clue what is the problem??
Attachments
tethering.jpg
tethering.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
stan

Re: Nikon D750 tethering via ipad and shuttersnitch

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm

I would have thought that it wouldn't work at all once you're connected to the camera wi-fi.

But since it does, my guess would be, that Apple is using Bluetooth to make a "mock wi-fi" connection to the Apple TV - and that this connection is not very stable. I'm pretty sure I read something about them doing some funky stuff to make this work with AirDrop too.

If this is the case, there's really not much you can do, except hope they get things more stable in future iOS releases. (Unless it's a Bluetooth speed issue - that it can't transfer the data fast enough - in which case, it'll never work.)

However, if money is no object, and you don't mind the iPad 4 being connected to your network via a network cable, maybe this is the solution? (I don't think this is doable with the 30-pin connector on iPad 3.)

Or an alternative could be to get something like a Transcend Wi-Fi card and keep everything on your local wi-fi.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby stan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks for reply but why does it work beautifully with an iphone 5S ??
stan

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Good question. Related to iOS version or the beefier CPU perhaps? Big performance difference between the 32 and 64 bit CPUs.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions