Wired Ethernet connection with Iphone

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Wired Ethernet connection with Iphone

Postby rmackson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Is there a way to configure ShutterSnitch on an IPhone using an Ethernet adapter so I can transfer the Images from a Nikon D4 or D5 directly from the cameras Ethernet port to the iPhone. The WT kind of works depending on the amount of RF in the area but is slow. Thanks
rmackson

Re: Wired Ethernet connection with Iphone

Postby TheBrew » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:58 pm

If your iPhone is supported by the Lightning to USB3 adapter, you can get that and the USB to Ethernet adapter. Then hardcode both the iPhone and the camera ethernet port to static IPs, such as 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2. Then they should be able to speak to each other as they would wirelessly. Remember to also update the FTP Host setting to the IP you gave the iPhone.

Caveats: You need to supply power to the Lightning adapter at the same time. I think you could use a portable battery pack, but I'm not sure. And you need to be running at least iOS 10.1.

Read more in this thread.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby rmackson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks
First of all the Ethernet Adapter from FindUWill does not require an external power supply (just found it by accident surfing the net)

I gave the iPhone an IP of 192.168.1.1 and the camera an IP of 192.168.1.2

I assume I need to enable the PTP/IP which has the host IP.

Problem 1...When I try to change it to 192.168.10.1(In ShutterSnitch) it goes back to the default of 192.168.1.1 So I set the camera for 192,168.1.2 port 26000 and the ftp server for 192.168.1.1 and port 26000 However I get an FTP error (on a Nikon D4) Also when the listening mode line comes up I get 169.254.105.92 (it appears to be looking for a DHCP server) port 26000

What I am ultimately trying to do is to tether the camera VIA the ethernet cable directly to the iPhone and move the pictures to the iPhone via ShutterSnitch and then send them to a FTP server via either LTE or WiFi (when available) am I asking to much from the software? Or am I just missing some setting in you software?

Cheers
rmackson

Postby TheBrew » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Not asking too much, that should be possible.

No, don't enable PTP/IP. FTP and PTP/IP are two different protocols, and the one you have to get working is the FTP one. You don't need to worry about any setting in ShutterSnitch as long as the port is 26000 (which is sounds like it is), and you're inside a collection while trying to connect with the camera.

Seeing 169.254.105.92 is not a good sign. That means the static IP hasn't been saved. Try setting the static IP up again. You won't get things running before it accepts that setup.

Try setting it up exactly as in the attached screenshot.

If you're still having trouble, try posting some screenshots of your setup. Maybe I can spot something. :)
Attachments
WFT_USB3AndAppleEthernetAdapters.jpg
WFT_USB3AndAppleEthernetAdapters.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby rmackson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks got it to work! What needs to be documented is you need to be in a collection for it to listen That is what threw me off a bit.

Also thanks for the fine support, I generally dont like forums for this purpose but you are very responsive.

Cheers

Richard Mackson
RGM Synovations
Senior Photographer and Technology Consultant
USAToday Sports Images
rmackson@yahoo.com
rmackson

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Good to hear. Yes, being in a collection = Services on. Exiting a collection = Services off. :)

Have a great weekend!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby rmackson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm

The more I get into your program the more I like it and also finding a few bugs or what I think are bugs it could just be me!

OK First bug. I have it set up to send images to my server at home and everything works great, and as fast as the LTE allows it. The bug is when I send to our corporate server I get the message " Export to FTP (Login denied) " after I see the message on the main screen and click it on to see what happened. However when I go to the FTP server the images are there and all is good. So I can't quite figure out the problem. As a note both my server and the corporate server are running Filzilla server. Any ideas to what is going on>

Also is running in passive mode or non passive mode and different with you program? I have tried both and see no difference.

Second bug. I originally set everything up and did the testing on an iPhone 8 and it has worked well. I then set it up on an iPad mini Version iOS 11.2.6 and the transfers would stall between the camera and the iPad and drove me a bit nuts. I then updated the iPad and that didn't help, as a last resort I rebooted the iPad and that seems to have cleared the problem. Have you head of this?

Anyway thanks and Cheers
rmackson

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:38 pm

rmackson wrote:when I send to our corporate server I get the message " Export to FTP (Login denied) " after I see the message on the main screen and click it on to see what happened. However when I go to the FTP server the images are there and all is good. So I can't quite figure out the problem. As a note both my server and the corporate server are running Filzilla server. Any ideas to what is going on>

That sounds like a server-side issue, but if the upload succeeds and I can detect that, I could probably suppress that message. So I'd be interested in knowing exactly what causes the server to return that message.
Could you 1: take a screenshot of that error and post it here, and 2: go into the ShutterSnitch settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on "Traffic Inspector", then enter a collection and reproduce the error. Then copy the log and post it here.

rmackson wrote:Also is running in passive mode or non passive mode and different with you program? I have tried both and see no difference.

That's specific to the network the server is hosting on. Go with whatever works in your situation.

rmackson wrote:I originally set everything up and did the testing on an iPhone 8 and it has worked well. I then set it up on an iPad mini Version iOS 11.2.6 and the transfers would stall between the camera and the iPad and drove me a bit nuts. I then updated the iPad and that didn't help, as a last resort I rebooted the iPad and that seems to have cleared the problem. Have you head of this?

I've not heard of it no. Is this with the cabled connection or via wi-fi? You say you updated to a new iOS version - that would also include a reboot. So my guess is, the solution was not related to the reboot but something else. After an update the system could be busy upgrading things in the background, using up a lot of memory / CPU, slowing things down, and once it was done with that, you rebooted and that seemed like it did the trick - even though it was just because iOS was done hogging the ressources.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby rmackson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Code: Select all
Device: iPhone10,5, 64-bit, iOS 11.2.6 (ziggiesMiFi4 RM iPhone)
Free memory: 142,327,808
Free disk space: 235,010,940,928
Time: Apr 8, 2018 at 12:55:14 PM

12:55:14.333 Listening…
12:55:14.334 Failed to get IP address from devices: {
    lo0 = "127.0.0.1";
    "pdp_ip0" = "10.47.200.251";
}
12:55:14.337 ShutterSnitch version: 4.1.8 (28939)
IP: Disconnected
FTP port: 26000
WebDAV port: 8080
Eye-Fi: Disabled (0 cards)
PTP/IP: Disabled
Transcend Wi-Fi card transfers: Disabled
Toshiba FlashAir transfers: Disabled
ezShare transfers: Disabled
PQI Air / Air Direct transfers: Disabled
GoPro transfers: Disabled
Panasonic LUMIX LINK transfers: Disabled
Sony DLNA transfers: Disabled
Canon UPnP transfers: Disabled
Fujifilm transfers: Disabled
12:55:14.341 Started WebDAV server on port 8080
12:55:15.345 Failed to get IP address from devices: {
    lo0 = "127.0.0.1";
    "pdp_ip0" = "10.47.200.251";
}
rmackson

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:08 pm

There are no uploads going during that log output - I'd like to see a log from when it you get that "Export to FTP (Login denied)" error, so I can see more details on what the server is saying. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Other Questions