Need Norwegian language in description field IPTC

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Need Norwegian language in description field IPTC

Postby Dagbladet » Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi

I'm using ShutterSnitch to add IPTC-description and send pictures via ftp on my iPhone.
Without the Norwegian letters Æ,Ø,Å the description comes out in the other end as unreadable.

Is there a fix for this or can you provide an update with this problem solved?
Dagbladet

Re: Need Norwegian language in description field IPTC

Postby TheBrew » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 pm

What software is "the other end"? I have no problem testing the æ ø å scenario with Photoshop.

The fields are saved using the most all-around compatible text encoding (UTF-8), so I'm wondering if the software you're reading it with perhaps is set up to assume it's Latin1 and not UTF-8?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Dagbladet » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am

The picture ends up in our publishing system, but it is only when I send pics that has been texted in the IPTC-description field in the ShutterSnitch app, that the the problem occurs. When I text pics in Lightroom and ftp from my Mac, everything works fine.
Dagbladet

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 am

Total shot in the dark, but I notice that Lightroom writes the XMP header before the IPTC header. Photoshop doesn't, and ShutterSnitch doesn't depending on what's already in headers.

Software such as Photo Mechanic has a specific setting to change the order in which to read those two headers - so I wonder if that's what's causing the publishing system you're working with to trip up.

I'll try changing my code to flip those headers and then I'll post a sample photo here, so you can ask the publishing desk if that fixes the issue.

This may take a little time though, it may not be an easy fix.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 03, 2018 11:38 am

Here you go. Which (if any) of these files show up with intact æøå characters in your publishing system?
Attachments
XMP_FIRST.JPG
XMP_FIRST.JPG (10.49 MiB) Viewed 1464 times
IPTC_FIRST.JPG
IPTC_FIRST.JPG (10.49 MiB) Viewed 1464 times
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Other Questions