Resizing images for Mail iPad app version

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Resizing images for Mail iPad app version

Postby bluesky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi, I have a problem that the iPad app button for resizing images will not work with any button but small & medium. This is not a problem with iPhone version. Anyone any ideas?
bluesky

Re: Resizing images for Mail iPad app version

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 pm

There are many places you can choose a size - which one are you referring to?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 pm

OK, I guess "many" is two places in the case of emailing :) I just tried both here, and Large / Custom size works fine on my iPad. Could you give me some more details?

What iOS version are you on? Can't you tap the buttons? Or could it be that it just *looks* like there's no difference in size when you pick them - the medium and the large *looks* like the same size when authoring the mail (because the photo is fitted to the page). But when you send the mail, it'll be a large photo. (The authoring is out of my control - iOS takes over there.)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

TheBrew wrote:OK, I guess "many" is two places in the case of emailing :) I just tried both here, and Large / Custom size works fine on my iPad. Could you give me some more details?

What iOS version are you on? Can't you tap the buttons? Or could it be that it just *looks* like there's no difference in size when you pick them - the medium and the large *looks* like the same size when authoring the mail (because the photo is fitted to the page). But when you send the mail, it'll be a large photo. (The authoring is out of my control - iOS takes over there.)

Hi,
Shutter Snitch build 4.1.2 iOS 11.4 Ipad pro
Basically select photo. Go to top menu. Hit the email icon. Menu comes up small,medium,large,full size,custom size,original. Hit a box either small or medium. Fill out email address, hit send and is sent. However, if I use any of the other selections button i.e large, full size, original, custom -email box comes up as small/medium - can fill out the recipient and hit send. However, the email doesn't send -appears to act the same way as small, medium sending without the whoosh. On examining the outbox nothing is there.

Works as it should on iPhone with same file etc.

Thanks.
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:47 pm

I don't have the problem on my iPad Pro running iOS 11.4. ..and the latest ShutterSnitch 4.2.4 (are you running an old version or did you just mistype?)

What ShutterSnitch does is, it tells iOS "please present a mail-compose window with this file-attachment and this mail-subject". If something's wrong beyond that, it's iOS that somehow fails to send the mail.

Are you using the same mail account as on your iPhone? If not, maybe the account rejects mails that are above a certain size when trying to send them?

If it's the same account, then I wonder if it's either a mail-setting in the Settings app - or maybe just the system that's acting up, and you'll need to reboot your iPad. (Press and hold the sleep/wake button and slide the on-screen button to shut it down.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi

Thanks for reply SS v 4.2.12(32514). Ipad pro 10.5in ios 11.4.1

Sending via email menu option I cannot get above 1024 px (medium option) in either Gmail or Mail. Resize will work up to this size and no further - original file size 5184x3456

If I use the share option, it attaches and sends the original file size (5184 x3456) in either Gmail or Mail (no sizing options are offered by either mail system).

I have checked several times all visible setting on iPhone version and iPad to ensure identical. What am I unclear about, if this is down to mail systems how can they manage to resend a custom resized version on iPhone and not on iPad? And if its a file size restriction how come it can send a full-size version?

Thanks
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Since I can't reproduce it on my side, I wonder if it could be related to the file format - could you post an untouched file here that I can test with?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Please find attached a file. (did try both ipad/phone again to no avail).

Thanks
Last edited by TheBrew on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Privacy
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Very interesting. I can reproduce it on my side trying to send a Large (1600) version of TOT26193. It works with TOT25963 at 1600, but not at 4000.

(Don't worry, I'm getting them - I'm just removing them from the forum for privacy reasons. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:12 pm

When it fails, it's because the mail composition service crashes..

Code: Select all
Saved type '109(<private>)' report (6 of max 25) at /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MailCompositionService-2018-08-18-220734.ips

It looks like it's related to the metadata - if I clear the metadata before sending, it works. (Update: Oh, works with 1600 files, but not with 4000s.)

How do you set the metadata?
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Other Questions