Resizing images for Mail iPad app version

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Re: Resizing images for Mail iPad app version

Postby TheBrew » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Hmm. Intersting. Did this exact same thing twice in a row on my iPad Pro running iOS 11.4.1:

Tapped mail, Custom size 4000, picked a receiver, and tapped 'Send'.

The first time, it presented a "This message is 1.4 MB. You can reduce message size by scaling the image.." sheet where I could pick between a few smaller versions or the actual size - picked actual size and it sent it no problem.

Then I did the exact same thing again - and it never asked about the size, but just *looked* like it sent, but in my code I could see it returned a "Cancelled" status, and the Mail Composition Service crashed.

I'm thinking that maybe it could be a memory issue? That it takes up too much memory and just gets killed. The crash logs are sent to Apple though, so I'm sure they know about the issue.

I just tested this on my iPhone X running iOS 12 beta 8 - and it worked 5 times in a row ..but then again, that's an iPhone..
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Think you've probably cracked it. When I first received the iPhone version, I set it as a test to remove metadata on import. On checking it is still set on the phone, it wasn't set on iPad.

Presume this is something which can be corrected in next update?

While I have your ear, could I suggest for the next update, that you have an option to select a resolution as well as file size? Save the non-designer clients (press - generally want 3200 at 300 dpi) moaning that I have sent a file with enough res (they don't know how to resize/or can't be bothered!).

Many thanks.
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Hah - I think I found the issue.

It's not something I can do anything about, since it's iOS that has the bug - but I have a workaround for you:

It seems the crash occurs when the Mail Composition Service tries to present the "This message is x.x MB. You can reduce .." options.

There's no problem on compact screen sizes - and you can force that by dragging another app to the right or left of the screen and enter split-screen mode. Then drag the splitter so both apps are 50/50 on the screen. Now, when you tap the mail-icon it'll be presented in compact mode, and when it asks if it should resize, it won't crash.

Not exactly optimal, but it'll do the job while we wait for Apple to fix the issue.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 am

Thank you for your speedy help. I'll await action from apple...
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Good news!

Years back, when presenting the Mail Compose window, I needed to tell it to present as a sheet. if I didn't, it would fill up the whole screen. Not pretty on iPad.

It turns out that at some point they've changed that behaviour - and made it a (custom) sheet even if I don't ask for it.

And if I don't ask to present it as a sheet - the service doesn't crash!

I've now submitted the fixed version 4.2.13 for review. Hopefully it'll be out in the coming days.
TheBrew
The Developer

Previous

Return to Other Questions