Subscription-based - what do I get?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Subscription-based - what do I get?

Postby Ranger 9 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:23 am

I see via an in-app notice that ShutterSnitch is now going to be subscription-based; you can keep using it as-is, but you need to subscribe to get future updates and new features.

Can you give me an idea of WHAT I'm likely to get in the way of updates and new features for my US $ 36 per year if I subscribe?

I'm not against the subscription model, I just want to know what's in it for me. Thanks...
Ranger 9

Re: Subscription-based - what do I get?

Postby TheBrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:33 am

(As a new customer: Access to use ShutterSnitch.)

As an existing customer: If you didn't buy some of the add-ons (Image Adjustments, Metadata Editor, Video Playback) you'll get access to those.

The biggest part is: Help me stay in business. If you don't care (no hard feelings!) and you already have access the the add-ons you like, then I advise to just don't subscribe until you see a feature pop up that you feel is worth paying $2.99 a month for.

It's also important to point out - it's $2.99 *monthly*. You can stop the subscription and re-subscribe 2 or 5 months later, and re-gain access to subscription features then. You're not forced to pay $36 a year.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jayce103 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Do you see this new direction with Snitch to bring new features more quickly and regular? I know it’s a struggle to try and produce a product without getting anything back so hoping this could be a start to get the features that (I believe are missing or at least would make it an all rounder) stops me having to use 2 or more apps to do one job.

As an example I have talked about (and others) about code replace feature for the sports photographers amongst use as well as more adjustments etc.

I have to admit that I am trying to come away from subscription paid services, but if Snitch gets the features, and for 2.99 then I have no problem subscribing for the cause bud.

Any thoughts?

Jayce

PS: If I subscribe and cancel do I still retain the stuff I have now? How does that work if I have to delete and re-install etc.
jayce103

Postby TheBrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:37 pm

jayce103 wrote:PS: If I subscribe and cancel do I still retain the stuff I have now? How does that work if I have to delete and re-install etc.

You will never lose what you had prior to version 4.3.
If you cancel a subscription, you just return to the state you were in before. If you delete and re-install, restoring previous purchases will be the first step of the setup guide. This includes add-ons and any active subscription.

jayce103 wrote:Do you see this new direction with Snitch to bring new features more quickly and regular? .. code replace feature for the sports photographers amongst use as well as more adjustments etc.

Money doesn't buy development speed (unless there's a lot of it to hire people :) and the new features are, as they've always been, limited to what I like and what I'm actually capable of doing. (So I guess the answer is no? I feel like I'm killing myself working all day, every day already. In fact, I don't think it's possible to get any less healthy than this. ..dang, you just made me realise maybe it's time to stop this insanity.. thank you.)

As I advised earlier, if you as an existing customer only wants to pay for upcoming features: wait until you see them. I won't hide new features from non-subscribers, they'll be out in plain sight and tapping them will bring up the subscribe-window.

That said, it's currently too early to tell if this is going to keep me afloat. Without any numbers to go on it's hard for me to make any real comments on the future. I'll be wiser in a couple of months.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jayce103 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Firstly! Don’t stop. I have been an avid Snitch user since the early days. I have tried other apps as they had/have features that help out in other aspects of my photographic pursuits, but none have me feeling like they won’t crash any second now...

I totally understand about the work/life balance as I too suffer from that also, and it is good to see the openness you display as it shows that it is a real person (and the only one doing this app). I have said to you before and in the forums that I have no issue with paying a higher price for feature sets (and I am talking £20/30 mores) as it would be beneficial to my workflow, but I suspect you would need a hundred more to also buy it to make it worth while.

For now I will keep using Snitch as my go to ipad app, and hope that you like the features I/we put forward and when these come along I will put them forward to my students (as I have been doing for years btw).

Jayce

Viva la Snitch....
jayce103

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:14 am

Oh sorry if it came off as pulling the plug on app development - I just meant I should stop spending all waking hours on this. Maybe it's time to take a more healthy approach. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby bluesky » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Do you have to have a separate subscription for both phone and iPad apps?
bluesky

Postby TheBrew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:56 pm

No. A subscription is tied to your Apple ID. So one subscription will cover all of your iOS devices. If you install ShutterSnitch on another device, just tap the ‘Restore’ button in the subscription dialog.
Tapping ‘Subscribe’ would also just restore the active subscription (as long as it’s the same Apple ID you’re using).
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Qwerty0 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:57 am

Just so I understand - because I am likely getting a new iPad and iPhone soon - am I able to install with the level of function I currently have now or am I going to have to subscribe to install?
Qwerty0

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 am

Yes, you’ll be able to install with the level of functionality you currently have now. When the subscription dialog comes up, just tap the ‘Restore’ button.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Other Questions