EOS R and shuttersnitch access

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

EOS R and shuttersnitch access

Postby modestmouse » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Hello, i couldn’t find the direct contact info for the developer anywhere so I will write it here.

I bought shuttersnitch in 2015 and have been using it on off for all these years when I need to shoot to my ipad. I bought the picture adjustment add-on in 2017 because it was a good add-on that I needed.
I have now bought an EOS R and find after wanting to use the app I paid for that it no longer works without buying a monthly or yearly subscription. I read through the history of changes and it said in the 4.3.0 changelog that it was now subscription based ‘...but don’t worry, you still have access to everything you’ve bought so far.’ Problem is that the most basic of basic functions that I bought this program for; to transfer my files wirelessly from my camera to my ipad no longer works!
I get it, to make new functions available you need time and money, and I am happy to pay for new features that I need or want. But now the program I bought can no longer do the simple thing I bought it for!
I work at a camera store and have recommended shuttersnitch to many of my customers, pros and semi pros alike, but this I feel makes me not want to do that anymore. Please make the EOS R supported without subscription or make it a one time purchase if you must but I cannot defend subscribing and paying monthly or yearly to an app I already bought and use a couple of times a year. You seem like a nice guy that responds to bugs and the community, but this is just wrong.
Thank you
Michael
modestmouse

Re: EOS R and shuttersnitch access

Postby TheBrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Michael,

The version you bought in 2015 didn’t support EOS R (since it didn’t exist then). As time goes on and camera manufacturers add new capabilities to their cameras, they also change/add new functionality to the communication protocols they use. Which is the case for the EOS R.

Every time something changes I have to catch up and make sure ShutterSnitch will also work with the new cameras. Same goes for iOS and new Apple devices for that matter.

Software has to be constantly kept up-to-date to stay working. Without subscribers I wouldn’t be around to do that.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby modestmouse » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 pm

I understand but now the 238 dkk (36$) software I bought from you is useless! I would be happy to pay for the development that implementing eos r cost but not each month. With photoshop or the likes you can at least convert the raws to dng and open them that way in the software. Here there is no option for getting back the basic functionallity of the sofware that i bought it for, this is what makes me mad.
modestmouse

Postby TheBrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

modestmouse wrote:Here there is no option for getting back the basic functionallity of the sofware that i bought it for

I haven’t taken anything from you. ShutterSnitch works like it always has.

You didn’t buy the ability to connect to cameras, you bought the ability to connect to the cameras ShutterSnitch supported back in 2015.

With a subscription you pay for the latest features and access to everything.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby modestmouse » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm

I bought it to send pictures wirelessly from my camera to my ipad and watch them there as they came in, I started with an eye-fi card, then 5D IV and now EOS R. Your software never said that it suddenly wouldn’t support wifi from a certain camera!
So the basic thing I bought it for you no longer let me do because you decided that a new camera should not be supported unless you paid monthly. If you added other editing functions or completely new functions to the app i would get it, but the main thing this app does: Recieve and show pictures wirelessly you no longer do for people like me who already paid for it.
modestmouse

Postby msatter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

You have to look at Canon is changing bits in their software so that app's also have to be adapted.

Why don't you go back to WiFi sdcard to transmit the pictures and don't use the WiFi of the camera?
msatter

Postby modestmouse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Because the EOS R only has one card slot and the built in works better.

And because i paid to use this software to transfer files from any camera not a specific one.
modestmouse

Postby msatter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't agree with that it should support any camera. You bought it at is was and devopment was extra.

I have been for a long time on frozen version of SS and when I bought a more modern iPad I could also use the latest version.

If you have subsciption you can vote with your feet and take you're money somewhere else if you are not happy. Your current version of SS will keep working but not for camera's that are only supported with a subscription.

You have to keep in account if there are not enough people buying SS the development can't be kept up and the app would become unsupported and maybe even removed from the store.
I assume it would still function despite not being on sale anymore.
msatter

Postby modestmouse » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 pm

I don’t have a subscription as I am very unhappy about the way this is handled.
modestmouse

Postby msatter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 am

I can understand that and TheBrew explained it well why he went to a subscription plan after years of maintaining the app.

You can't put all your problems withTheBrew this because if Canon made a standard interface that would be the same for every Canon camera now andin future then developers would be the extra work be spared.

That is why I use WiFi SD-cards to be not depending on the camera maker if he is nice or not nice.
msatter

Next

Return to Other Questions