Send Mail in Single App Mode

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Send Mail in Single App Mode

Postby egonschurter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am

I have an iPad built in as a kiosk to a photo booth.
The iOS is configured to run only shuttersnitch in single app mode.
When trying to send an email out of shuttersnitch I get the Email dialog but the send button is greyed out.
Is it, that iOS doesn't allow applications to use Mail function when running in single app mode?
In guided Access it works. But guided access has some other drawbacks.

Kind regards
Marc
egonschurter

Re: Send Mail in Single App Mode

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am

When you choose to send a mail via ShutterSnitch, it essentially just hands over a photo (or photos) to iOS and asks it to present a mail dialog. Everything from there is out of my hands - which is good for privacy - no way to snoop email adresses / personal texts.

I'm sure you've already tried, but just in case: It's not just grayed out because you haven't yet added any recipients or the subject is blank?

If not, maybe it's a limitation that can be turned on/off somewhere in the iOS settings?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Send Mail in Single App Mode

Postby egonschurter » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Brew

I'm sure you've already tried, but just in case: It's not just grayed out because you haven't yet added any recipients or the subject is blank?

I can confirm that's not the case. In "guided access" the send button is available whereas in "single app mode" the send button remains greyed out (even when entered a recipient address). I guess this is restricted on purpose by apple. Problem of guided access method is, that on rebooting the ipad after the battery got completely empty, the ipad isn't in guided access anymore and all apps are available. Which isn't good if you want to use it as a kiosk.

If not, maybe it's a limitation that can be turned on/off somewhere in the iOS settings?

I was looking for such a setting when creating/editing a profile in Apple configurator 2. There is actually a checkbox "use in Mail only" under Mail payloads. Even if this is unchecked, sending email from shuttersnitch in single app mode is not possible.

Kind regards
Egon
egonschurter

Return to Other Questions