iOS treating jpg+raw as separate photos

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

iOS treating jpg+raw as separate photos

Postby zach » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:40 pm

When you normally import a JPEG+RAW photo into iOS, the Photos app will normally treat those two files as one single photo, which you can switch to the RAW photo for editing later on if you’d like.

I just tried out ShutterSnitch and it seems to transfer RAWs fine (which is good- many apps seem to just punt on that and do JPEG!), but when I share them into the main iOS camera roll, they show up as two separate photos. Is this the intended outcome?
zach

Re: iOS treating jpg+raw as separate photos

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm pretty sure I can't tell iOS to save two files as one representation of a photo. Hang on, I'll check!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Hmm. It might be possible. I'll have to do some testing to be sure though. Give me a day or so.. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby zach » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Awesome, sounds good. :) I kind of figured it was maybe a matter of keeping something in the metadata the same between the two photos, maybe.
zach

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:46 pm

"A day or so".. Strike that. Confirmed now. :)

I'll make sure that saving Raw+JPEG pairs in the next version will combine them into one "package" in the Photos app.

I still have some things to wrap up and App Review have lost their minds lately, so I'm not sure when the next version will be out. Let's hope for some time next month. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby zach » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Awesome, super great to hear it! Looking forward to it. :)
zach

Postby TheBrew » Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Alright, version 4.7 is out.

Quick note - In order to merge the two, they need to be saved at the same time. And since there are few ways to save to the camera roll I better point this out:

You need to save via the selection mode. Select all the files you want to save, then tap the share button, and then select 'Save to Camera Roll'.

It will not work if you're saving via Action tasks or the iOS share sheet. (I tried, oh how I tried.. to see if I couldn't make it work via Action tasks, but there's no way, sorry.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby zach » Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 am

Awesome, yeah that worked great! Really glad to see it in this version, thanks!
zach

Return to Other Questions