Watermark text - possible to use placeholders/ tokens?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Watermark text - possible to use placeholders/ tokens?

Postby tip » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello,
I have been using png watermarks for some time, but now would need to add text as a watermark. Not static text, though, but *dynamic* text.

E.g. the %%filename%% token, or others from another (permitted) metadata field in the file header, as detailed here https://www.shuttersnitch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1919&sid=35a73086fdf9ab67ab85ecab41f21554#p8229.

I will be printing out images automatically, with a png frame, but they need to also contain a file name on the print out, for future reference, or a re-print.

Is there a way to do it and how would I need to set this up? (I have tried adding it in the text box of the text field, but that did not seem to take it - is there a workaround maybe?)
Thanks in advance for some pointers.

P.S.: I know it could be done with ImageMagick on the PC handling the printing after they were transmitted from Shuttersnitch, but that just introduces another item in the already complex workflow where things can go wrong and it seems like extra work that I would like to avoid.
tip

Re: Watermark text - possible to use placeholders/ tokens?

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Text watermarks don’t support this no - I’ve moved your question to Feature Suggestions. Thanks for the input!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Geez. So sorry. I'm currently in the middle rebuilding my kitchen and everything—including my brain apparently—is an absolute mess here..

I was tossing and turning this morning thinking "Didn't I actually code that feature at some point?". And yes, yes I did. Sigh. Sorry!

A few things to verify:

* The watermark layers are applied so the top-most one in the list will be the top-most in the final image. So make sure your %%filename%% text watermark is at the very top. You can arrange the order using the right-hand side draggers while editing the list.
* Only watermark layers that have a checkmark at the right-hand side are applied. You can toggle the checkmark by tapping the watermark layer while *not* editing the list.
* Make sure the "Transparency" value of the text watermark isn't turned all the way up. :)
* The feature was added after version 4.3 so you need to be a subscriber.

When you're editing the watermark text you'll see a (xx) button in the keyboard toolbar for easy access to the standard tokens.
Attachments
watermark_layers.png
watermark_layers.png (123.72 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanks for the prompt response - and the correction ;-) Glad to learn that this seems possible.
I just renewed my subscription to make use of this.

However... in entering a token (by using the "xx" symbol as pointed out, or by typing it) in the "Edit watermark" custom text dialog, the text entry does not "stick" when pressing "Done".
It simply reverts to the entry that was there before. (This is what happens when changing an existing watermark entry.)

When trying to add a new watermark, none of the new %%filename%% entry "sticks".

(I am accessing the Watermarks menu through the Options button.)
This is using v4.8.1 (46102)

A bug? A user error?
tip

Postby TheBrew » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Hm. I can't reproduce that here. What iOS version and iOS device are you on?

Maybe you can help me reproduce it by doing a screen recording of the issue and attach it here?

(Screen recording: If you haven't already added the button to the Control Center, go to Settings app -> Control Center -> Customize Controls and add Screen Recording. Now you can drag down from the top right-hand corner at any time and tap the circle with a dot in it to record the screen.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm

This happens using an iphone Xr with iOS 13.2.3
Attachments

RPReplay_Final1580852736.MP4 [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 1659 times ]

tip

Postby TheBrew » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am

Haha, ah, a picture (or moving pictures) is worth a thousand words!

Instead of tapping the Done button on the keyboard, tap the back navigation button in the top left-hand corner.

I’ll look into why tapping Done doesn’t update correctly. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 pm

tap the back navigation button in the top left-hand corner.

That seems to work - thanks for the pointer! I can now insert a watermark from one of the (few) available fields.

But now I am battling some inconsistencies of the metadata implementation, have to misuse (re-purpose) fields and jump through hoops to get it to do what I need...
The limited amount of the fields available to watermark and filter (IF-condition in Actions) are hampering the workflow a bit.

Is there some way to employ other tokens from metadata fields beyond the ones listed in watermarking, such as %%headline%% or @@headline@@, or %%byline%%, or @@usercomment@@?

That would make things more flexible when needing to work with dynamic (non-static) watermarks.
(I could also look in the metadata header section of a jpg file for the correct spelling of a particular field - as long as they are available to be used as a token)

I tried entering %%headline%% but no joy...
Any more pointers in this regard?
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Hope the kitchen is coming along ;-)
tip

Postby TheBrew » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:05 pm

The currently available tokens are hardcoded but I've been meaning to add support for more metadata fields for some time. I'll post back here when I have more concrete info!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Great - Thank you!
tip

Next

Return to Other Questions