Looking for app to compress image files

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Looking for app to compress image files

Postby sonander » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:19 am

Hi

I am looking for an app/software to run the iPad to compress images to a max file size. Most applications can define the max size in pixels and a fixed quality, I would like something like the export you have in Lightroom Classic where you can set the maximum file size and the software will compress and adjust the quality to fit within it. Anyone aware of such app for the iPad?

If it can batch process images would be awesome.

My workflow is:
Camera FTP RAW images to SS
SS renamed the files accordingly
SS exports the RAW files to Camera Roll
Lightroom auto adds from Camera Roll
I edit in Lightroom and export to correct pixel size
Export to Camera Roll
Import JPGs to SS
Add metadata
Send to agency

Everything works smoothly but I need a way to limit the file size as the agency has a max file size.

Thanks
Peter
AIPS Sports Photographer
sonander

Re: Looking for app to compress image files

Postby TheBrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi Peter,

I'll be adding a "Recompress to max filesize" pre-processing option to the next update.

It's a tricky problem to solve since the compression option when saving JPEGs is really just a quality setting from 0 to 10. So it'll be a bit taxing on the system, effectively just trying to compress multiple times and picking the quality that gets closest to the desired file size.

Hopefully the max agency file size is in megabytes not kilobytes?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby sonander » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Good news Brian!

This will be awesome and make my workflow a bit easier and definitely something I will try out. There is no way to get some beta program ;) I have 2 soccer games to shoot on coming Sunday.

The limit they is 2MB so I hope it will be doable :)

Thanks
/Peter

P.S. I guess the export pre process will do the resize first and then the compress ;)
AIPS Sports Photographer
sonander

Postby TheBrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:47 pm

No beta sorry, and yes, it'll be the very last step so any watermarking and resizing will already have been applied.

It's going to take a little while to get right and test all the scenarios, but just know it's coming. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby sonander » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 pm

I see, do you have an ETA for the next version?

Thanks for your great work with this wonderful app

/Peter
AIPS Sports Photographer
sonander

Postby TheBrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 pm

I do not, but it’s less than a month and hopefully less than a few weeks? (And of course there’s no telling how long if Apple decides to reject for some obscure reason :).
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby sonander » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:50 am

Wow Brian, that was fast delivery. THANKS!

A short question besides the features request I have posted earlier. Would it be possible to the preprocess step also when saving to the Camera roll?

Thank you so much!
/Peter
AIPS Sports Photographer
sonander

Postby TheBrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Less than a few weeks. :)

Can you elaborate on that pre-process step when saving to the camera roll? Just to save space in general? (I mean, in your editing scenario it would be bad to reduce the quality before you edit in Lightroom.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby sonander » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Sure I do not want to compress before Lightroom

But when I have imported them back from Lightroom into SS and added the metadata, then I usually try to export them to camera roll instead of export to a location like Dropbox or Google drive. This is to avoid extra network traffic. When sitting by the football field I often have to rely on 4G data, then I would not like to use 4G to export the images to a folder in the cloud and then drag them into the browser window to upload to the agency. Unfortunately not all agencies support FTP yet.

So in short have Camera roll as one export location, maybe you even can specify what album to export into, one album for the export to Lightroom and another for the final export.

In my case I would then export the raw files as they are into the camera roll using one action
Edit in Lightroom
Import back to SS
Apply metadata
Export compressed and tagged images to the camera roll with another action
Drag them to the agency in the browser

Might be I have missed some options, but I have searched it :)

Did it clear my idea?

This maybe also clarifies the other things I added into the Feature request forum.

Thanks
/Peter
AIPS Sports Photographer
sonander

Postby TheBrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:33 pm

I see. Will look into it when I get some free time. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Other Questions