Connecting via 3 'Mifi'

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Connecting via 3 'Mifi'

Postby apkent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm very interested in using this app on location to instantly allow clients to review shots taken on my iPad, whilst I continue shooting. Obviously this means I won't have access to a wifi network to allow the system to work in the usual way.

I use a Three (in the UK) Mifi (actually a Huawei E5830) at home - a 3G wireless access point. My question is, since the mifi isn't a proper router, would the combination of an eye-fi SD card, the iPad and my mifi allow the images to transfer properly?
The mifi has very little in the way of configuration options, so if it doesn't work out of the box theres very little which can be done to force it to work.....

Anyone got experience of doing this?
apkent

Re: Connecting via 3 'Mifi'

Postby apkent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

No one has done this then presumably?
apkent

Postby Jwallen543 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 pm

I use my palm pre with a myfi hotspot app and it works great it even works when I don't have a signal for the phone.
Jwallen543

Postby Cynergist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 am

I've got an old Pro (not X2) card in an adapter for my 5D MK II, and transferring photos to my ipad through a 3 Mifi card here in the UK.

Everything works fine, even if the 3 mifi isn't connected to the internet. However it isn't terribly fast. Also with keeping RAW on the card and transferring the smallest jpg to the ipad, the card can only hold about 120 images.

Unfortunately the X2 cards which are both larger capacity and faster won't work with my camera.
Cynergist

Postby phill boag » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 am

hi
i use the 3mifi mk2, it works perfectly and does not require internet connection as said above.
the mk1 mifi also works a treat too
regards
phill boag

Postby hub » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 am

I am using this combination, but hasn't been able to get it to work. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what's wrong.

I have configured the mifi network on my eye-fi card, with the "network out of range option". In Shuttersnitch, I have been able to confirm that the app is listening from the same IP as the Mifi router. However I can never get the images to import.

the camera is Nikon D3x, shooting the smallest jpeg.

One thing unique is that I am in Canada so I asked a friend to purchase a 3 huawei e5830 mifi router for me from the UK. It shouldn't matter that I cant go online with it here in Canada since all I want is the wireless network it generates... but I can't figure out what's wrong. Anybody has any idea?

Many thanks!
hub

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:34 am

Is the MiFi set up to use DHCP? If you try adding the network regularly does it make it all the way to contacting the Eye-Fi server or does it fail before that? (when you add the network as out of range the card does not test anything about the network it just saves the info as you typed it)
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby paulcoxphotography » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:41 pm

hub wrote:I am using this combination, but hasn't been able to get it to work. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what's wrong.

I have configured the mifi network on my eye-fi card, with the "network out of range option". In Shuttersnitch, I have been able to confirm that the app is listening from the same IP as the Mifi router. However I can never get the images to import.

the camera is Nikon D3x, shooting the smallest jpeg.

One thing unique is that I am in Canada so I asked a friend to purchase a 3 huawei e5830 mifi router for me from the UK. It shouldn't matter that I cant go online with it here in Canada since all I want is the wireless network it generates... but I can't figure out what's wrong. Anybody has any idea?

Many thanks!

I'm using the D3 but otherwise have the same setup and it works. You'll see other posts where there have been concerns about reliability but it should transfer. Have you tried setting the card up so that it transfers the files to your computer using the 3 router? If not give that a go before trying to get shuttersnitch to work. If you're shooting raw and jpeg I suggest you set the camera so that the raw file goes to slot 1 with the basic jpeg going to slot 2 in which you've put the eyefi card.

Edit - in case it gives you any other tips I thought I'd add the link to my blog post
paulcoxphotography

Postby tonygamble » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Can I flush up this two month old thread as I also want to shoot into an iPod and then, when I find it works, a (to be purchased) iPad.

I shoot with the Panasonic G1 which accepts the Eye Fi Pro/X2 card. I have got it to work into a Sansung Ultra using Win 7 and an ad-hoc wifi signal.

I also own a 3 MiFi and I keep seeing references to it being able to work as an ad-hoc wireless router - thus avoiding the need to jailbreak the iThingies.

I have read Paul's blog but when I see references to email addresses I find myself thinking this is not the ad-hoc route - but using a remote internet server to receive and relay the images.

Is there anyone out there sending images from the card to the MiFi and then on to the iThingie - which is what I understand ad-hoc to be about?

Tony
London UK
tonygamble

Postby TheBrew » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Tony,

Since ShutterSnitch never retrieves images from the Eye-Fi server, but always directly from the Eye-Fi card, I'm sure it works the way you'd like: The photo goes from the card to the iPod/iPad through the MiFi, never reaching the Internet.

If the references to e-mail addresses you are talking about are the sign-in part - then yes, you'll need to be connected the very first time you set up / pick the card you want to receive the photos from. But from then on, you won't need to be connected.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Eye-Fi