Connecting via 3 'Mifi'

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Re: Connecting via 3 'Mifi'

Postby tonygamble » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks TG,

Sounds positive.

I hope someone with a 3 MiFi will surface so we can share info about the settings. I say share - but it will be rather a one way transfer of know how at the moment!!

Tony
tonygamble

Postby MadDawgJ » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:08 am

Tony,
What issues exactly are you running into? Have you been able to add the network to the card? If not what is the full text of the error that you get?

-MDJ
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby tonygamble » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

MDJ,

Thanks for your interest. I have to take some photos this morning ( poor excuse?? )

I'll have another try this afternoon. I think the problem was inserting the right encryption key. The 3 MiFi comes with a preset one of eight digits. I am reluctant to change that as I have got it working with a couple of other devices (but will later if I get my ShutterSnitch to work).

Is an eight digit code WPA?

Tony
tonygamble

Postby tonygamble » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm

OK, here we go.

I have got the card to register the MiFi using the Eye Fi Helper. I had to use the Other dropdown and the Out of Range option.

However, it regarded my default MiFi eight digit password as WPA and it has logged a MiFi choice on to the card.

I am not sure what I have to do now to the iPhone with ShutterSnitch on it. The iPhone sees the MiFi signal and is connected with it.

I have put the Eye Fi card into my Panasonic G1 and taken some pictures, but nothing has come into the folder on my iPhone which was created with today's date.

I see we are Listening on port 26000 IP 192.168.1.101

My guess is that I need to add something else - but I don't know what!!

EDIT - HAD AN IDEA

I wondered if I needed to log in with the iPhone. However, when I do the system hangs - or the rotating ring never stops.

SECOND EDIT.

I tried logging on over 3g rather than via the MiFi. It worked and I was taken to the menu where it asked which device I wanted. As Eye-Fi card was the only choice I turned it on - but still no images come from the camera.

Now listening says Eye-Fi supported.

I wonder if I should be setting something in the MiFi ?

What I do know is that the camera and card are transmitting. I fed a couple of images to the Samsung Ultra I configured some months ago and it worked.

Tony
tonygamble

Postby tonygamble » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Still struggling for an answer.

In this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-EEEXy ... re=related
the demonstrator gets to the bit where he does "Set up Eye Fi Access" on his iPad. This is 6.34 minutes in.

He then gets a screen showing two cards. He has an Eye Fi Pro X2 card and an Eye Fi card.

When I do that on my iPhone I just see Eye Fi card - but my card is a Pro X2. I wonder if this is significant?

But I also come back to my question as to whether I should be setting up the Huawie E585 in any way. Certainly the man in the video is doing quite a bit of configuring to his router.

This is what my MiFi setting looks like:-

I feel I am nearly there.....but not quite yet!

Tony
tonygamble

Postby MadDawgJ » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 am

Tony,
When you try to add the network (not as out of range) what exactly happens? Do you have internet through that router? Can you transfer to a computer with the Eye-Fi Card with the router?
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby tonygamble » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 am

OK MDJ, I have cracked it.

I'll go through all the stages so it may help anyone coming fresh to this thread.

I'm using a Huawei E585 MiFi router and an ordinary iPhone using the version 3x software.

I turn on the E585 and using Settings on the iPhone I get the iPhone to lock on to the Wifi using the eight digit code that comes with the E585. I leave the Sim card in the phone - i.e. don't move it to the E585.

EDIT. I have just set up a new (my second Eye-Fi) card and as this was the first profile it was being given it did seem to need my Sim card in the E585.

I put the X/2 card into the PC and bring up Eye-Fi helper.

My original mistake was adding a profile to the card with a made up name 'MiFi' and not using the full name coming from the E585 which, in my case, is '3Wireless-Modem-5679'.

I find it more reliable to add the profile to the card by choosing "Other Networks" and "Out of Range". (This presumes that the card has already got at least one profile on it and that it is registered with the Eye-Fi web site). Then all you/I need to do is to create a profile with the above name and with the eight digit password, supplied with the E585, as a WPA password - and the card accepts the new profile.

I put the card in the Panasonic G1.

Fire up Shuttersnitch on the iPhone.

Within Shuttersnitch "Set Up Eye-Fi Access" and ignore the fact that it just says "Eye-Fi card" and nothing about Pro X/2.

Open a new Collection and start firing off the shots.

Brilliant. It works!! Now I see what it can do I'll go shopping for an iPad. Note that I can buy one without 3g as my E585 will supply that for the iPad - thus saving money on the iPad and saving by not having to subscribe to two sims!

Thanks for your interest and patience, MDJ. A great little product. It's odd that nowhere on the web could I find the set up instructions that I have attempted to document above. Maybe you could edit them a bit and pop them somewhere as a sticky?

Kind regards,

Tony
Last edited by tonygamble on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonygamble

Postby TheBrew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Beautiful, thanks for the walkthrough Tony - I'll make it sticky in some way!

A little note on the "Eye-Fi card" title in the Eye-Fi Access Setup - you can actually edit the name of the card ("Eye-Fi card" per default) in the Eye-Fi Manager. Just right click it and choose to rename it. Good thing if you're juggling more than one card.

Once I get the time (tiiime) I hope to be able to put together some guides for a lot of different scenarios and put them up on youtube. Thanks for your info on this one!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tonygamble » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks TB,

In fact that was going to be my next question.

If I buy a second card to deal with the situations where 8 gig is not enough to handle a session - how do I tell SS which card to expect signals from.

Presumably I can name them Eye-Fi A and Eye-Fi B, etc.

Do I assume that the new names get registered on the Eye-Fi web site?

Tony
tonygamble

Postby TheBrew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Exactly, when you rename the cards in the manager, it tells the Eye-Fi website about it too, and if you're on the Internet the next time you sign in with the ShutterSnitch Eye-Fi setup, it'll get the names from the server and you'll be able to distinguish them.

You tell ShutterSnitch which one to accept photos from by toggling the buttons in the setup. Of course you can have both enabled and it'll accept from any of them.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Eye-Fi