Eyefi Mobi Pro setup

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Re: Eyefi Mobi Pro setup

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 am

If you can find that crash report, I'd love to see it, so I can fix the bug.

Nobody's more bummed out than me that Eye-Fi never made it easy to get to the key outside of their now deprecated API. But that's where we are. Lets at least be happy there's a way to get to it if we're lucky to still have the old software/databases around.

Nothing new since 2016 - it looks like they've sold the brand to Keenai and cut off support for the old Eye-Fi cards. End of an era.

But! It sounds like I can help take away the biggest pain - making a backup of your keys so you don't have to waste your time in the future. To make that backup, go to the collection overview, tap Options, tap Setup Guide, scroll down to the bottom and tap Eye-Fi Classic. That'll show you the cards you've added (or show you a 'Sorry, the Eye-Fi API is no more' message if no cards exist) - and at the bottom you'll see an option to mail yourself a backup. Now, if you re-install ShutterSnitch, all you'll have to do is go back to that email and tap each link to re-add the cards.

I've never done this myself, but it looks like you can back up and restore apps and settings with iMazing.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Whitesnake » Thu May 10, 2018 10:55 am

I would like to try my A7 III with a new Eye-Fi Mobi Pro Card. Is this a good idea or won't it work at all at the moment? I don't know if the signal and transfer speed is fast enough but I won't buy this card if the whole registration process doesn't work.
Whitesnake

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I don't have a Sony camera, and I'm trying to find the camera compatibility list Eyefi once had ..and so far, the more time I spend digging around, the more my alarm bells are going off - dead links, referencing "the tech specs" that are nowhere to be found and "Copyright 2016" on the main page. So I'd be a little uneasy buying an Eyefi card these days.

My favorite wi-fi card is probably the Transcend Wi-Fi card, but I've heard rumblings that the future isn't looking good for that one either. Toshiba looks like the only company still going all in with their FlashAir cards; the latest W-04 is super fast ..until you stick it into a camera that is. So I'm hoping they'll release a W-05 card soon that improves the antenna. But looking at their compatibility charts I don't see the A7.

So, yeah, sorry I can't be of much help here. (Do anyone reading along have experiences with the A7 III and the Eyefi cards?)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Whitesnake » Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks for your answer. I will try the W-04 and look how the transfer speeds and stability are with the A7 III and in addition with the D750. For me Eyefi is like a russian roulette. Nobody knows if it will work.
Whitesnake

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I don't know if the FlashAirs work with the A7, so make sure you can return it if it doesn't. Also, if you can find a W-03 I'd go for that instead of the W-04.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby stan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Are you totally nuts?? An instruction that maybe one person in a millon understand. I have my Nikon D5100 with my new Eye-fi card and I have my new ipad air 2 with the Shuttersnitch app installed

So now I want to transfer photos from the camera to the ipad and they shall appear on full screen automatically. Do I need to be an IT engineer with Harvard education to acheive this or shall I install the Keenai app??

Rgds
Stan in Sweden
stan

Postby TheBrew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am

You’re shooting the messenger.

The difficulty of setup is entirely because of Eyefi/Keenai. Before they took down their API, it was simply a question of logging into your account, that’s it.

On the bright side there’s still a way to get to the keys.

Since I have a spare minute while racing towards my inevitable death, here’s a word of advice from an old man: You’ll get much better—and faster—help if you talk nicely and empatheticly, and treat people with respect. Have a nice day!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby imacri » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm

As of 2018, is there any chance to setup the Eye-fi card?
my plan was to make it connect with my new wifi network and work through infrastructure.
imacri

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 pm

It depends on what kind of card you have.

The old orange Eye-Fi Mobi: Yes, will work without any special setup - but only works by connecting to the network it creates - so no infrastructure.

The old orange Eye-Fi Pro X2: Yes, if you have a backup of the card-key from when their API was still alive. If you have an iOS device with ShutterSnitch that it was working with, you’ll be able to extract the keys via the Setup Guide and tapping the “Eye-Fi Classic” option (moved to the bottom in the latest versions). Or if you still have the old Eye-Fi Center application installed on your computer (if it’s been working previously, the key will be in its settings and it should be possible to dig it out.)

The new Eyefi (note the missing dash) cards: Yes, if you have that backup.. or ever had it working with the Keenai app on your computer. In which case you can probably extract the key from there.

I was also once able to help someone extract the key from an Eye-Fi mobile iOS app installation.

As you can see, it’s quite the adventure. :)

I wonder though, if it’s an old card, if you can even set it up to join a new WiFi network at all. Maybe that’s all you really wanted to know..?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby imacri » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 am

It's the relatively new eyefi mobi pro, black.
I've set it up before the keenai merger, with the eyefi windows software, to log in my infrastructure wifi network.
Now I've changed it and would like to use the card with the new wifi name and password.
Too bad the disappearance of the producer is impacting the things they have already sold, even if we are not talking about cloud services but real objects.
imacri

PreviousNext

Return to Eye-Fi