It takes a long time...

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

It takes a long time...

Postby PhotoBoother » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm

...for transfer from my EOS 60D to my iPAD2, after taking a picture.

I've got an EyeFi SD Card (ok, it's one of the cards, which will not be supported by EyeFi in future) in my PhotoBooth. Everything is working very fine with my settings, I can see all the pictures on the iPad - the only thing I'm not agreed with is, that it takes a very long time for transfer the pics. The resolution of the Camera is S - so I think at least smaller then 6 Megapixel for each pic.

Question: What kind of proposal for solution do you have? I can't reduce the Picturesize anymore. The iPad is based directly next to the camera (EyeFi Card).
Should I change the Card to another one? Transcend? Newer EyeFi? What else? Or can I change the settings in some way to make it faster?

Just thing about the guys want to take a picture and it takes 5-6 seconds for transfer... What do they do? Correctly! They do another picture. And another one. ...

Yes, so that's my first post here :-)
And as you already reed: I use the card in my PhotoBooth - in Germany!

Best regards
thePHOTOBOOTHER
PhotoBoother

Re: It takes a long time...

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:09 pm

What is "a long time"?

The first thing that sticks out is that you use an iPad 2. That's 5 year old hardware. The new iPads are much much faster. If you have / know someone who have a new iPad, give that a try and see if that makes a difference. (Just as a test. Don't buy one, expecting me to be right - it could have no effect at all..)

Transfer speed has also increased for each new generation of Eyefi cards, so that could also be a factor if yours is really old.

Lastly it can also be signal quality. Such as many nearby wi-fi networks / if something blocks the signal for your iPad / from your card.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby PhotoBoother » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks!

"Long time" means 5-6 seconds.

Already tested with an very new iPad Air2 - the same procedure...
The signal quality: Cam and iPad are at least 15cm away from each other. And it doesn't matter if I'm alone with my iPhone in front of the Booth or 5 People.

What Card do you prefer for the usage in my case? Or in general: With what card-type you got the best experience?
PhotoBoother

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Oh. I thought you were hoping for 5-6 seconds. Which is about the fastest you can expect with Wi-Fi cards.

Each second you want to shave off from there is *very* expensive. For example you could buy a 6D and you'll get 2-4 second transfers via the built-in Wi-Fi.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby PhotoBoother » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Oh dear...
And I thought, it's because my set-up ;-) I saw an very nice PhotoBooth with an Android Tablet (Connection by wire) - the pics have been shown within 1-2 seconds.
But that's no option for me - I have to find a suitable solution for my iPad Set Up...

Any other proposals, how to get it faster?
Another (cheaper) Camera, then the 6D? Another Card?

In general: What kind of Cards do you prefer?
PhotoBoother

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:57 pm

If you want 2-4 sec speed, you don't want to use wi-fi cards. (But to answer your question: My preferred ones are Transcend Wi-Fi and Eyefi Mobi Pro.)

For speed, you'll want a camera that has a persistent connection and transmits as soon as the file is saved to the card.

My cheapest solution - the Nikon D3200 + WU-1a is out of battery so I can't test the transfer speed before it's charged. Will post back when I have some numbers for you.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby PhotoBoother » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for that!
Also interesting, if I can solve this issue with an cable-connection? I know - it is not that easy, due to I have to use the iPad and have no other option...
PhotoBoother

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Somewhere between 3-4 seconds for small JPEGs from the Nikon D3200 + WU-1a.

No cables with ShutterSnitch. Only Wi-Fi. (Well, or "only network" that is. So technically you could connect a Lightning to USB3 + Ethernet adapter to an ethernet capable camera / transmitter. But then we're back to 6D prices.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby photoblitzer.de » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am

Hi.

I also experienced relatively long time until Shuttersnitch starts downloading the file from the card.

It takes about 5 seconds until the rendering / download icon appears and turns an until the file is there another 3 seconds, which is nice! But it takes like I said a while until shuttersnitch starts downloading.

I am using a mobi pro card and ipad 3 and a router as an access point.
The camera is awake and ready.

Any ideas?
I had the feeling that it was a bit faster before the last update but that could be coincidence and the old eye-fi card was a bit faster, I think.

Thank you very much

Cheers

Jan
photoblitzer.de

Postby photoblitzer.de » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 pm

TheBrew wrote:Somewhere between 3-4 seconds for small JPEGs from the Nikon D3200 + WU-1a.

No cables with ShutterSnitch. Only Wi-Fi. (Well, or "only network" that is. So technically you could connect a Lightning to USB3 + Ethernet adapter to an ethernet capable camera / transmitter. But then we're back to 6D prices.)

And connecting an iPad to my router would work with this setup?

I have never thought about this and will try it out, at least I will connect the iPad to the router using the eye-fi mobi pro in my camera. Maybe this will speed it up a little. Did you compare the connection speeds to WiFi setup?
photoblitzer.de

Next

Return to Eye-Fi