ShutterSnitch with Eye-Fi X2 cards on Apple iOS 11

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

ShutterSnitch with Eye-Fi X2 cards on Apple iOS 11

Postby plevyadophy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Dear ShutterSnitch

I have a problem with which I hope you can help.

I have three Eye-Fi Pro X2 wi-fi cards.

Prior to the deadline given by Eye-Fi (for the End of Life cut off date) I downloaded the X2 Utility and set up my Eye-Fi cards to work in Direct Mode and then use the iPhone Eye-Fi App to receive images.

Everything was working just fine until a few days ago when I updated my iPhone to iOS 11.2.2.

Now, the Eye-Fi App does not run because iOS 11 refuses to open the App due to a lack of compatibility.

I have been informed that your App, ShutterSnitch, may be able to solve the problem by restoring the ability for me to receive images on my iPhone from the Eye-Fi X2 Cards.

I have seen a few old explanations as to how this might be done but they seem like convoluted hacks.

If your App is able to restore functionality to Eye-Fi X2 cards could you please provide an up-to-date step-by-step idiot proof guide to how this is done.

I need to get things working again by Friday if possible as I have a family gathering I want to shoot at using an Eye-Fi card.

I hope you can be of assistance.

Thanks in advance.

- Sent from my iPad -
plevyadophy

Re: ShutterSnitch with Eye-Fi X2 cards on Apple iOS 11

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm afraid you can't avoid the convoluted steps to get it working, since Eye-Fi also dropped support for 'the easy way' back in September.

The hard part is getting the keys for the cards. The card won't send photos to a receiver, unless it has the key.

Read how to do that in this thread.

Let me know if you have any issues.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby plevyadophy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 am

TheBrew wrote:I'm afraid you can't avoid the convoluted steps to get it working, since Eye-Fi also dropped support for 'the easy way' back in September.

The hard part is getting the keys for the cards. The card won't send photos to a receiver, unless it has the key.

Read how to do that in this thread.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Hi,

I just discovered that I never did install that X2 Utility on my Windows PC, although I did download it; what I actually did was, prior to September 2016, is to set up my Eye-Fi Cards so that they worked in Direct Mode (transferring to my iPhone) and I haven’t used or un-installed the original Eye-Fi Center software since.

Will that have an impact on my ability to get my Eye-Fi X2 Pro cards working again?

Also, I found these instructions http://thepeakoilpoet.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... m.html?m=1

Is the “upload key” spoken of at Step 5 of the instructions, in the link I have just provided, the same thing as what you are referring to? Although, I am not sure how helpful this method will be for me given that my desktp software (Eye-Fi Center) no longer works.

Thanks in advance.
plevyadophy

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 am

It's the upload key(s) you're looking for, yes. The software doesn't need to be functional - as long as it has saved the upload key to its settings in the past, you'll be good.

You could be lucky that the keys are still there, even if you uninstalled the Eye-Fi Center application - try navigating to the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Eye-Fi directory and see if there's a Settings.xml file there.

If not, there could still be hope if you haven't deleted the Eye-Fi app from your iOS device - see this post.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby plevyadophy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:17 am

Hi,

The App on my iPhone is totally disabled by the operating system (iOS 11.2.2). So I can’t launch it.

Secondly, I have THREE Eye-Fi X2 Pro cards; so will I find three transmit codes or will it just be one code for the last card used by the software (in the case of the desktop PC application, Eye-Fi Center and/or the iPhone app)?
Last edited by plevyadophy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
plevyadophy

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

Read the post I linked to - you don't need to launch the app.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby plevyadophy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 am

Also, I have THREE Eye-Fi X2 Pro cards; so will I find three transmit codes or will it just be one code for the last card used by the software (in the case of the desktop PC application, Eye-Fi Center and/or the iPhone app)?
plevyadophy

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 am

If you're lucky, all three upload keys are stored in the file.

The software doesn't delete previously used keys, but a card has to have been paired for the key to be saved.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Eye-Fi