Ey-Fi connection issue & 4.3.5?

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Ey-Fi connection issue & 4.3.5?

Postby photoblitzer.de » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am

Good Morning,

can somebody please confirm, that the 4.3.5 Version works with Eye-Fi Cards? I connected the card to my router as usual but the traffic inspector says that no card was found.

Before I start troubleshooting again and a bug found its way :)

Logfiles would not help because there is no connection, right?

Thanks a million.

BRs

Jan
photoblitzer.de

Re: Ey-Fi connection issue & 4.3.5?

Postby TheBrew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Jan, you're the first one to ask. I just verified and have no problems receiving from my card.

If you don't see anything in the Traffic Inspector, then the card never reaches ShutterSnitch.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby photoblitzer.de » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Heyhey, its me again.

So I am running into the same error with two mobi-pro cards connecting through my router with a setup that is running since more than 5 years now.

The Eye.Fi card will not connect to shuttersnitch although it has an IP adress and I cross-checked it with my laptop: Keenai will pull new pics off the card (within the same network) so something weird is going on.
I tried the standard things: rebooting ipad, closing SS, disable & enable Eye-Fi mode, going out of the collection, rebooting everything, etc. No connection between the card and SS :(

I even setup the WiFi again on the card and erased all stored WiFis that were on it.

Any hints?

Oh and I tried with two iPads and my iPhone (I shut SS of course on the devices first). I have one more iPad and HOPE that I have the old version installed to double check this. It worked with the previous version three weeks ago.

Can you confirm 4.3.5 running with mobi-pro cards and a router?

Flashair works like a charm using the same camera and iPad (but not through a router, of course).

Thank you very much

Cheers
Jan
photoblitzer.de

Postby TheBrew » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:41 pm

My guess is that the card has been reset and forgotten about ShutterSnitch. Or maybe that your router has given your iPad a new IP, and the card hasn't searched the network for it after that.

Let me save you some headaches on the ShutterSnitch side:

First, the Eye-Fi code hasn't changed since last year. Second, at the very first sign of a card contacting ShutterSnitch - in any way - you'll see it in the Traffic Inspector (I made sure of this exactly because these Eye-Fi issues are so hard to figure out). So if that is clean, the issue is outside of ShutterSnitch. And it pretty much always is.. unless the card key hasn't been added - and in that case you'll see it in the inspector.)

The problem is, the Eye-Fi cards aren't "dumb" cards like other Wi-Fi cards. They're little computers with software running on them, keeping track of who/where to connect. Nice when it works. And hell when it doesn't - because there's no display or user friendly way to tell it to forget everything and just do a clean search for receivers.

Your main goal right now is to get the card to discover ShutterSnitch.

Make sure the Keenai application isn't running on any machines on your network.

Then, if you have the Keenai/Eyefi app on your iOS device, kill them. (Swipe up on them in the app-switcher to make sure they're not running.)

Then make sure the Eye-Fi setting is toggled to On in the ShutterSnitch settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on Traffic Inspector, then enter a collection so the service starts.

Then make sure your camera doesn't turn off after a while (just while you're working on this). And if it has Eye-Fi support, make sure to enable it.

I've hear that formatting the card in the camera should re-boot the Eye-Fi card, so do that and then take a couple of photos and wait for a long time. Say 5 or 10 minutes. Hopefully the card will start searching for receivers and find Snitch. If nothing happens, take another picture and wait again. It really is all about getting the card to start searching.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Eye-Fi