Sending images to 2 ipads

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Sending images to 2 ipads

Postby dakman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:39 am

I need to send images to 2 iPads from 1 eye-fi card, but the images seem to come up only on the iPad that I have opened shutter snitch on first. any body have any ideas to solve this

Thanks
dakman

Re: Sending images to 2 ipads

Postby TheBrew » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 am

Make one iPad the "master receiver" and set up an action on it, that exports to an FTP location. Make that FTP location the other iPad.

Howto:

* The slave: You need 4 pieces of info - Hostname, Port, username and password.
Enter a collection and note the IP and Port it briefly displays at the top of the screen.
Go to the Settings app, scroll down to ShutterSnitch in the Apps section and note the username (default is "snitch").
The Password is your superuser password.

Now run the Options > "Set up Eye-Fi Access" and turn off receiving from the card.

* The master: Go to the collection overview and tap the Options button in the top left-hand corner. Pick Actions, enable them and add an action to upload to a location. Add a new location and put in the info you gathered for the slave. ..remove the "Update metadata" action if you don't want that.

That's it.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby dakman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks for the fast reply. Works great, just what i need. Thanks for the great product.
dakman

Postby Shepherd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Reading this because I want to set up 2 iPads on a shoot. I'm using the Nikon WT-5, a D4, and have an iPad 3 as my main iPad which I use to view the shots and make corrections. I'd like to have my old iPad 1 receive the images as well so I can have an AD use it during the shoots too. If this will work using the WT-5, could you expand on your description above as I'm not that technically proficient. I'm guessing the slave is the second iPad and the master is the first. The Settings App is the actual iPad settings and not settings inside the ShutterSnitch app? TIA for any assistance.
Shepherd

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 pm

The master is the receiver of the new photos from your camera. The slaves are the receivers of new photos from the master.

"Go to the Settings app, scroll down to ShutterSnitch in the Apps section" would be the equivalent of "Go into the ShutterSnitch settings". Same settings you get to.

If the WT-5 transfers the photos via a local wi-fi network and not via a direct ad-hoc connection to your iPad 3, then yes, that'll work.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Shepherd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I'm shooting primarily on location via ad-hoc. But it's good to know that I can use this on a network when I do shoot on one. Just out of curiosity (again, remember I'm technology impaired), what keeps two iPads with ShutterSnitch on them from receiving the files when in ad-hoc mode?
Shepherd

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 pm

A portable router could make you mobile. :)

Well, the way ad-hoc is like two cans and a string - only those two cans can talk to each other. A router based network works more like a telephone network where all phones are connected to a central. (I hope the can-analogy works - I don't know if you played with that as a kid, like I did. ;)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Shepherd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:23 pm

That's an awesome analogy! Thanks. Any recommendations on a portable router?

edit to add, yep, we had the old fashioned walkie talkies :)
Shepherd

Postby TheBrew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't really - since I don't have one.. (I move way too little ;)

Maybe you can find some positive words about the routers that are mentioned here. (Aluratek CDM530AM, D-Link DAP1350, Zalip)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby slaterk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Shepherd wrote:Any recommendations on a portable router?

I've got a couple of TP-Link WR702N's which work fine most of the time! They're hooked up to a small portable usb battery - great for in the field
slaterk

Return to Eye-Fi