Too complicated to work

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Too complicated to work

Postby Azeeman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 pm

I bought the app to getpictures from my x2 card to my iPad. The camera connection kit is unavailable so this seemed a nice solution.

Well you need to be an ICT expert to get this working. This is beta ware and not worthy to be an app. The apps normally make life easier. This app doesnt. For instance how to setup an ftp server???

Customer satisfaction is all about managing expectations. Please warn prospects about thetechnical skills needed to get theapp working.

IPads and Eye-Fi USPs are ease ofuse. This app is NOT easy. After 1 hour of trying I still not have it working. This is one of the apps which make me regret that iTunes does nothave a refund function, which Android has....
Azeeman

Re: Too complicated to work

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Venting is fine..

I left you help and corrections in the private message you sent me.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby fwinterb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm sorry. - I have to agree to Azeeman. - The idea of this appis great but it just don't work. And it isn't very helpfull to read your comments in the forums when you say "...something's wrong. Somewhere. Outside of the iPad. It can be a setting somewhere, the network, the card.. And this is where the Forums come in: Share your experiences and help out your fellow-photographer!". - Neither the ipad, nor my eyefi card nor my wifi ever makes trouble. - It's just your programm that isn't working as described. - So I understand, that you prefer doing features instead of network. - But networking is the feature - if YOU can't get it to work - your software is for nothing.

And - this goes to Azeeman and all the others: There IS a refund functionality in Itunes - just ask google about it.
fwinterb

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:09 pm

The app works. And believe me, if I could access your router, Eye-Fi card, Eye-Fi Center, or whatever it is that makes your card not send the images - I would do it. But (for very good reasons) I cant.

What would I have to gain by NOT making this work the moment people open the program? Maybe if it was a hoax - but as you can see and read, it works. (And if it was a hoax, I reeeally don't get how to do these - this is way too much work for so little money you wouldn't believe it ..The people assembling the iPads are better off)

I feel your pain. I do. And please, please just get your money back if you believe that there's something wrong with the app.

I've been thinking long and hard about how my users must experience this. But should I pull the app because some people can't get it to work (again because of outside factors that I can't control) or should I keep developing on it, so all the people who has everything working can enjoy its benefits? The answer was pretty obvious to me.
This doesn't mean that I'm going to ignore those who're in trouble. I'm doing everything I can to make things easier. For example here's a new feature of the next version I've been working on:

..which is being made possible because Eye-Fi Inc. is letting my app work more directly with them. There will be no more "UploadKey" stuff and it'll work even if the Eye-Fi Helper is active on the computer.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ILarry » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 am

Today i picked up an eye-fi card and got it working, sending pictures to my pc and to an on-line site.

I think that before you try shuttersnitch, you should make sure you get the basic eye-fi stuff working.

Then i loaded Shuttersnitch on my iPad and followed the instructions.

- get the upload Key as instructed and send it to you ipad via email. This is so you won't have to type it in and possibly make an error which is hard to find. This upload key has to be entered into the shuttersnitch config in settings on your iPad.
- disable uploads to any photo sharing site - make it only to your pc. I found that it won't work if the eye-fi card is trying to send to both the web and your pc. This change is done via the eyefi manager on your pc.
- now exit the eyefi manager on your pc so that your iPad will be the only server your eyefi card will see.
- make sure your iPad is connected to you wifi network
- open shuttersnitch and open a collection. It should show no image and be listening on the ip address of your iPad
- it says eye-fi enabled

Now take a picture and make sure the camera is close to the wifi router and you should see a message that shuttersnitch is receiving a file. Depending on the size it could take about 10-15 seconds. Then the photo should appear.

Key things - make sure the eyefi card works normally with your computer. Second, make sure it is configured not to upload photos to the web - only your pc. Make sure your pc eyefi server is not running. Make sure your iPad is properly connected to your wireless network.

It worked great for me.

Keep trying.
ILarry

Postby Jwall543 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 am

This app is great please keep building on it, it took me a few tries to get it to work but I have 3 different eye fi cards I use. It is the best app I have and as a full time photographer it is great and helps with location shoots a lot.

I would love to be able to download to more than one iPad at a time or computer and iPad at same time.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ps if u need a tester let me know I have the pro 8 gig and two of the 2 gig cards and have sessions every day but Sundays so I can test any time.
Jwall543

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks for the moral support :) Keeps me going.

Jwall543 - leave me a private message and we can talk about beta-testing.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby nssrac » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I agree with all the comments on this forum. This app is just too complicated to get running. Am IT aware but this app just has too many 'if' and 'buts'. It should just work without any 'have you tried this or that' or 'have you switched this on or that off'. Too experimental to charge that amount for. If it was more robust would gladly part with cost or more but this is unacceptable a the moment.
nssrac

Return to Eye-Fi