Example video

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Example video

Postby TheBrew » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:29 pm

I put up a video on how to get Eye-Fi transfers going.

Note that in the latest version of ShutterSnitch, you pick "Setup Guide" from the Options button to get to the Eye-Fi setup.

It's the perfect scenario. The iPad and the Eye-Fi card is configured to join my local wireless network and there is no computer around to hi-jack the transfers, but before shooting the video, the Eye-Fi card was configured to transfer to my computer.

So in a perfect world, this is how easy it is to get the transfers going - if you're having problems, please read the troubleshooting guide or look for solutions in the forums.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

getting shutter snitch set up

Postby arna » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi. I seem to be having great problems setting this system up. I think I have followed the instructions which are not very clear but it is just not working. I am obviously missing something. Does any body have a clear set of instructions for some one who is not that great with this new technology?

Thanks
arna

Re: Example video

Postby TheBrew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:00 pm

What kind of Eye-Fi card do you have?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby arna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:12 am

Hi I am using a Pro X2 card.
arna

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 am

With the Pro X2 cards you have to ways of transferring files, over a wi-fi network or by using the "Direct Mode" where the card itself creates a wi-fi network that only it and the iOS device can talk to each other on (so no Internet access).

First, make sure the card is set up correctly (you'll only have to do this one time):

* Insert the card into your computer, open the Eye-Fi Center application and click the little gear-icon to the right of the card.
* If you want to transfer photos over your home wi-fi, make sure it's added to the 'Private Networks'.
If you want to use the Direct Mode, make sure 'When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network' checked on the 'Direct Mode' tab and if you haven't already paired your card and the iOS device, do so by clicking the 'Start Direct Mode Network' button. To save yourself a lot of grief, sacrifice some camera-battery life by cranking up both of the toggles to 'Forever'. Once you get the idea of how things work, you can tune them down to what fits your workflow. (This is all about joining and re-joining of the network - more on that later.)

You can now close the window, click the eject-icon, and put your card into your camera.

Now make sure that your iOS device is connected to a wi-fi network and has access to the Internet (test with Safari). Then open ShutterSnitch and from the collection overview screen tap the 'Options' button in the top left-hand corner. Pick 'Setup Guide' and tap the Eye-Fi option at the top.
Sign into your Eye-Fi account and you should now see a list of your cards. Make sure that the switch to the right of the card in the list is turned on. Then tap 'Done'.

If you added your wi-fi network to the card settings, you can now create or go into a collection, take a photo and the card should find ShutterSnitch and transfer the photo. From now on, all you need to do is be inside a collection when you take the photos, and they'll arrive.

If you didn't add your wi-fi network and just want to use the Direct Mode option, go into the Wi-Fi section in the iOS settings app. Then take a photo and after a little while the Eye-Fi DM network should show up in the list. Tap it to join it and then open ShutterSnitch and create or go into a collection. If the photo doesn't transfer right away, take another photo to force the card to retry.
If you lose the connection to the card (by powering off the camera for example) you'll need to re-join the network from the iOS settings.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby arna » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:19 am

Many thanks I have been able to get the system working and I am VERY happy. Are you able to save the photos it sends to the phone in the camera roll of the phone?

Cheers
Alex
arna

Postby TheBrew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Good to hear. :)

You have two options saving to the camera roll:

If you want to save only specific photos
A single file: Tap and hold the photo in the filmstrip. That'll bring up a menu, tap the "Share" option and pick "Save Image".
Multiple files at once: Tap the box with an arrow going out of it in the toolbar, then tap the photos in the filmstrip that you want to save to select them. Then tap the arrow in the toolbar and pick "Save to camera roll" (this option will be "Share" in the next version).

If you want to save all photos when they are received
Tap the gear-icon in the toolbar. That'll bring up the "Action tasks" sheet.
Tap the "Edit" button and then "Add new task". Change the description to say "Save to camera roll" and tap the plus button in the top right-hand corner. From the list pick "Save to Camera Roll". Then tap on the "Actions tasks" button in the top left-hand corner and press "Done".
Now drag the slider on the right, to the new task you just created. Tap "Close" button and from now on photos will be saved to the camera roll when they come in.
If you want to turn off this behavior momentarily, you can just tap the gear-icon again and drag the slider up to "Do nothing".
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby arna » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Alex
arna

Return to Eye-Fi