New beginner having issues

Help and ask for help on Transcend Wi-Fi card related problems

Re: New beginner having issues

Postby TheBrew » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:02 am

That depends entirely on your position in the world (signal noise in the air), your camera, and the load you're putting on the card.

I'm afraid the only way to find out / find the optimal setup is trial and error.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:05 am

What camera are you using? Have you tried changing the cameras power saving/auto-off settings? If the camera shuts power off to the card then the card can't do anything including transfer images.

Beware of changing it to "never" as if you forget to watch the downloads and turn off the camera it will kill your battery and when you go to grab the camera and shoot and you will find your battery is dead. That's never good.

How far is the camera from the router when you are trying to upload?
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby mcaf123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am

MadDawgJ wrote:What camera are you using? Have you tried changing the cameras power saving/auto-off settings? If the camera shuts power off to the card then the card can't do anything including transfer images.

Beware of changing it to "never" as if you forget to watch the downloads and turn off the camera it will kill your battery and when you go to grab the camera and shoot and you will find your battery is dead. That's never good.

How far is the camera from the router when you are trying to upload?

Hey, I'm using a Panasonic Lumix GF3.
Should the camera cut power to the card even if the screen is still on or even viewing photos on the card?
My camera is right next to my ipad and both are within 10 feet of the router.
mcaf123

Postby mcaf123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 am

TheBrew wrote:That depends entirely on your position in the world (signal noise in the air), your camera, and the load you're putting on the card.

I'm afraid the only way to find out / find the optimal setup is trial and error.

Thanks for the advice and quick responses!
mcaf123

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:14 am

mcaf123 wrote:Hey, I'm using a Panasonic Lumix GF3.

I don't see anything that states or even implies any issues with that camera. I would try setting it to never turn off just to test what happens. If that works then it's just an issue of finding the best system for you to keep it powered for transfers without wasting battery life. If it doesn't work then that may not be the issue and we need to look else where.

mcaf123 wrote:Should the camera cut power to the card even if the screen is still on or even viewing photos on the card?

Screen on yes it will, viewing photos not as long as you are changing photos every now and then. Cameras are designed for "dumb" memory cards that only store images so they try to cut power to the card when possible to preserve battery life so you can take more pictures per charge. Your GF3 has no idea that there is a card capable of wireless transfers, let alone one trying to upload wirelessly, so it may cut power during uploads. Reviewing photos and occasionally changing pictures (since the camera needs to access the card to see the new image it keeps it powered) is the most reliable method I have seen for any of the wifi cards short of the Eye-Fi enabled cameras that know what the card is doing.

mcaf123 wrote:My camera is right next to my ipad and both are within 10 feet of the router.

That distance to the router should be fine as long as it is the router broadcasting the network. If there are other routers that also broadcast the same network then the card may be trying to join them and not the one it is next to. That is a limitation of adding such features into such a small device as a memory card. For the record and your information the distance to the iPad from the card is of no importance, all data must go to the router and then to the iPad. That means that if the card is next to the router but 50 feet from the iPad you are good as long as the iPad (more power and better wireless) is in range of the router. Conversely if the card is next to the iPad but 50 feet from the router it probably won't connect.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Transcend Wi-Fi cards