Direct mode with actions - 3G iPad

Help and ask for help on Toshiba FlashAir card related problems

Direct mode with actions - 3G iPad

Postby photoblitzer.de » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:35 am

Hi guys,

first of all thank you for the regular updates and the support in this forum.

So, now to my problem :-)

Setup:

iPad 3 3g iOS 6.1
Toshiba Flashair & SanDisk Eye-Fi
Huawei Mobile MiFi Router
Sony Alpha 500
Shuttersnitch 2.9.0

Because of lack of the transfer speed using the Eye-Fi card in the past ( Ad-Hoc mode: iPad and Eye-Fi were connected to the MiFi's WiFi in order to use dropbox actions during the shootings) I bought a Toshiba FlashAir card yesterday. The transfer speed of the FlashAir card is about 2 - 3 seconds with pics having a size of 650 kb (the Eye-Fi took about 3 - 5 seconds for the same files plus some pics didn't show up in shuttersnitch).

But now using the direct mode of the card ( it doesen't support ad-hoc mode) I am not able to use the actions I configured. I upload the pics onto a dropboxfolder and watermark them during the shooting. Although the ipad is connected through 3G, I don't have the dropbox connectivity because the ipad wants to use the WiFi connection to upload them.

Is there a solution to that?

I had the same problem with the direct mode of the Eye-Fi card, that's why I bought the MiFi router in order to work.

I like how stable the FlashAir card works in comparison to the Sandisk Eye-Fi card although I would LOVE to have an even faster transfer from about 1 - 2 seconds. Is that possible somehow?

Thanks in advance,

cheers

Jan
photoblitzer.de

Re: Direct mode with actions - 3G iPad

Postby TheBrew » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Toshiba FlashAir cards are only really made for direct transfer between it and the devices that connect to it.

The cellular functionality of your iPad is not accessible to apps once you're connected to a wireless network (such as your Toshiba card).

The FlashAir is currently limited to just spawn a closed wireless network but the Transcend and PQI wi-fi cards offer a mode where they can join a wireless network as if they were a regular device, and transfer files between the card and any other device on the network.

So if you get a Transcend card instead and let it and your iPad join your Internet connected MiFi network, it'll work.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby photoblitzer.de » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi TheBrew,

thanks for your fast reply.

I have one suggestion to make: Shuttersnitch crashed and closed while trying to process the action without an internet connection. It may be better to automatically check if an internet connection is available when activating the www-actions to prevent the program to crash during shooting.

Are the Transcend cards faster and more reliable than the Eye-Fi Cards?

Thank you

cheers

Jan
photoblitzer.de

Postby TheBrew » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 pm

It should never ever ever ..ever crash. Could you please attach the crash log?

Card reliability - I don't know. I haven't tested since reliability is all about the hardware and signal noise around the card there's only one way to find out: by trying it out.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby msatter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm

The Eye-Fi card was never unreliable to me and in the AdHoc or infrastructure mode, the connect speed is still unmatched. Transfer speed is equal and that is not a big item to me because I only transmit JPG files and those are much smaller than 1MB.

I also own the Transcend card and I only use it for testing purposes because I don't have an iPad with personal hotspot or an infrastructure device like a router or a MiFi. Direct mode is to slow in connect speed and if you switch off your camera to change a lens or battery you will have to leave the collection and re-enter the collection to start-up the connection process.

The new generation SD-W+D will surpass Eye-Fi because you can interface with the card and it is not one direction communication as with the Eye-Fi card.
msatter

Postby egonschurter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I just found out a good solution for this problem today thanks to the following post:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/173894/can-i-connect-to-wifi-but-still-use-cellular

1) connect to toshiba wifi
2) in wlan settings tap flashair’s wifi info button
3) note ip-address
4) change ip-setting from automatic to static
5) enter the previously noted ip-address
6) enter 255.255.0.0 as subnet mask
7) leaving router address blank forces ios to use cellular network for internet connection
egonschurter

Return to Toshiba FlashAir cards