Toshiba FlashAir (1st / 2nd gen) info

Help and ask for help on Toshiba FlashAir card related problems

Toshiba FlashAir (1st / 2nd gen) info

Postby ThatToshibaDude » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Hey!

Here is a quick collection of the information that I have gathered about these Wi-Fi enabled memory cards by Toshiba that are fairly uncommon compared to the big guys (Eye-Fi, Transcend, etc.). In my personal opinion these cards are fantastic and this thread should hopefully stand as a general Q&A for everything Toshiba FlashAir.

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT affiliated with Toshiba (just passionate about their product) and all information here is provided as is. I make no guarantees that the information provided here is current or accurate. You are welcome to add your own findings, experiences, corrections, etc. Thanks for understanding.

--

1. What is Toshiba FlashAir and how does it differ from Eye-Fi or <other Wi-Fi enabled memory card>?

Simply put, FlashAir cards create their own ad-hoc (device-to-device) Wi-Fi network that your devices (up to 7) can connect to. This is much like Direct Mode as offered by Eye-Fi. Unlike Eye-Fi however, FlashAir cards can NOT connect to an existing (e.g. home Wi-Fi) network.

That said, FlashAir has the advantage that it doesn't require an app (or computer) to function and its interface can be accessed via a web browser (by going to http://flashair/) once connected to the Wi-Fi network created by the card itself. This also means you don't have to register for any online service to use the card or hook it up to a computer for initial setup, as is the case with Eye-Fi (with the exception of the Eye-Fi mobi).

Finally, there are no separate models of FlashAir cards that differ in functionality. This means all FlashAir cards can upload JPEG, RAW, even video files without any special configuration.

--

2. Which models of FlashAir are currently available and where can I buy them?

As of this writing (July 30, 2013), there are two models of FlashAir cards available on the market.

The original model, released a few years back, is commonly found on the web (e.g. Amazon, eBay, etc.) and many bigger electronics stores around the world. It has 8GB capacity and Class 6 speed rating.

A newer model, released in early July, 2013, is only just making its way into the US and Europe. It is currently available in Japan and has 16GB capacity as well as Class 10 speed rating. This card has a designation of "W-02" on the front and is referred to as "FlashAir W-02". Some online stores seem to ship this model worldwide, however the bigger stores like Amazon are yet to offer this card.

--

3. What is the difference between the two models beside capacity and speed?

Toshiba has said to have written the firmware for the newer W-02 model from the ground up. There are general improvements to the interface, but most importantly, the W-02 model can retain its settings even after a format*. If you format an original FlashAir card, you will also lose the password and network name that you have set for the card.

*This must be enabled separately during the setup of the FlashAir W-02 card. If you don't enable this option, the card will work just like the original FlashAir and lose its settings after a format. (You can always change this option afterwards.)

A unique and new feature also specific to the FlashAir W-02 is called "Photoshare". This option can be accessed through the card's web interface from your connected smartphone, tablet, or computer and allows you to select pictures stored on the card that will be accessible through a separate Wi-Fi network created by the card. This is useful if you need to share only certain pictures with your friends or family by having them connect to the Photoshare Wi-Fi network on their devices, allowing them to see only the pictures you've chosen to share with them. I've tested this function personally and found it to work well in practice.

Both FlashAir models support Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz) connections and are secured with WPA2. Both models will work in most digital cameras with SDHC compliant slots, leaving out only older and earlier digital cameras with regular SD memory card slots. Please note that due to the Wi-Fi functionality on the card, just as on Eye-Fi, Transcend, etc., the battery life of your camera will be slightly affected.

For general information on FlashAir cards, refer to Toshiba's website (currently referencing only the original FlashAir, however most of the information also applies to the W-02 model): http://www.toshiba-components.com/FlashAir/. For a detailed rundown of the differences between the two models, take a look at Toshiba's website (in Japanese): http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/flashair/spec_j.htm.

--

4. I currently own a FlashAir W-02 (or original FlashAir). Where do I find the latest setup tool for my PC/Mac?

You can download the latest Toshiba setup tool from here: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/downlo ... re02_j.htm. Although the website is in Japanese, the software itself works in English (at least on my Mac, I didn't have a PC to test at the time). This tool is used to setup / reset the FlashAir card and update its firmware.

Note: Use of this tool is NOT necessary to get the card working. FlashAir cards need no configuration, just pop in the card into your camera and go! It's that simple!

--

5. Does the FlashAir W-02 work with ShutterSnitch?

Yes (viewtopic.php?p=6122#p6122). As of ShutterSnitch version 2.10.4 (currently available on the App Store), FlashAir W-02 cards allow importing pictures into ShutterSnitch as well as uploading of pictures as they are taken in the camera.

To set up your FlashAir card for use with ShutterSnitch, refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1323.

--

6. How do I control the Wi-Fi function on a FlashAir card?

Toshiba allows you to configure your FlashAir card in two ways. The first (and default) option is to activate the Wi-Fi function on the card as soon as it receives power (i.e. your camera is powered on). The other option is to have a picture stored on the card itself that triggers the Wi-Fi function when you lock / unlock it in the camera.

The trigger picture works by utilizing your camera's interface in playback mode, in which you seek for the specified picture and then either protect (lock) or unprotect (unlock) the picture. This will reflect the status of the Wi-Fi function on the card. Although it is useful and allows you to control the Wi-Fi function on the card without having a FlashAir specific option in your camera (much like Eye-Fi Connected cameras have a specific option for Eye-Fi cards), in practice it is a bit cumbersome as the card will react only to changes made to the trigger picture. This means that if you leave the specified picture unlocked, thus activating the Wi-Fi function on the card, you will need to lock and unlock the picture again if you restart the camera. Otherwise, the card will not activate its Wi-Fi function.

--

7. What happens if I enable use of the trigger picture (see question 6) and format the card?

Simply restart the camera. The card will look for the specified picture and find it is missing, thus automatically activating the Wi-Fi function. Please keep in mind that this will not affect the password and network name setup on the card if you chose to protect these settings from a format (see question 3).

If you're unable to have the card activate its Wi-Fi function, you will have to perform a reset of its settings using the software tool provided by Toshiba (see question 4) on your PC/Mac. This is why you should be careful with formatting the card if you're using the trigger picture to control the Wi-Fi function on the card. The card will of course continue to function as a regular memory card even when the Wi-Fi function is deactivated.

--

8. I have further questions about FlashAir, what should I do?

Leave a reply in this thread and ask away. If I'm not around to write a response to you, someone else might have the answer you're looking for. As I said above, this is just information that I have compiled together in a single thread to help out other people interested in Toshiba's FlashAir. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not affiliated with Toshiba and I do not guarantee that the information provided here is current or accurate.

If you see an error, please tell me about it and I'll try to fix it as soon as I can. If you have something to add, or want to share your experience with FlashAir cards, feel free to leave a reply about that!

--

9. Bonus tip: Use FlashAir as wireless storage!

As I mentioned above in question 1, any FlashAir card will upload JPEG, RAW, even video files to your connected device(s). In reality, FlashAir cards have no restriction on the file types that can be made accessible through the cards' web interface. This means that you can hook up a FlashAir card to your computer, transfer any kinds of files to it, and have these files accessible wirelessly to your devices when the card is inserted and powered up in your camera.

Now enjoy and go shoot something (with a camera)! :)

Yousif~
ThatToshibaDude

Re: Toshiba FlashAir (1st / 2nd gen) info

Postby lamdavi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm

- Does the 8G/class 6 FlashAir card work with ShutterSnitch?
- Does ShutterSnitch works on Windows OS such as Windows XP, Windows 7 or 8? If not is there any other Windows application that works with FlashAir? My problem with using a browser to download files from the FlashAir card to a PC requires to download only one file at a time. I need an application that enables automatic downloading of picture file each time the camera takes a picture with FlashAir installed in the camera. Also, the ability to do batch downloading by selecting multiple files to be downloaded in one time. Thanks in advance for any information.
lamdavi

Postby TheBrew » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:06 pm

First question: As far as I know, yes.

Second question: ShutterSnitch runs on iOS only. The ShutterSnitch Backup application supports downloading new files from ShutterSnitch automatically, but is for Mac only.

However if you have an FTP or WebDAV client on your Windows computer, you can easily batch download that way. It won't give you a nice thumbnail overview though.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby lamdavi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:40 am

I have installed a FTP client (File Zilla) on my Windows 7 PC. What do I specify the ip address (Host), user name, password, and port # for accessing FlashAir. (I have already connected to FlashAir access point and could see picture thumbnails with http://flashair/). Thanks.
lamdavi

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:57 am

Sorry, I was talking about ShutterSnitch access when I mentioned FTP.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Raynman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Question about the photoshare feature of the flashair:

I have the 16Gb class 10 card.

I use a cf adapter so that it fits into my Canon Rebel XTi.

Everything seems to be working properly.

When I set up a photoshare and connect to the temporary photoshare network, I can see the pictures on the device (iphone4) that I'm coonecting with. I cannot see where I would be able to save those pics to the connected device.

Example: at a party, if several people want to see the pics I'm taking, do they only get a chance to view the pics but not save them to their phones?

Can you help?
Raynman

Return to Toshiba FlashAir cards