Can't get Sony A7ii working on a iPad Air 2

Help and ask for help with your DLNA camera

Can't get Sony A7ii working on a iPad Air 2

Postby Wesley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Hello all,
Was wondering if anybody has got the app and the cam working tethered. Have been tinkering with it for ages but no go.
Here's what I've done:
1. Activated the 'Smart Remoted Embedded' on the 'Application List' menu.
2. Got the Password and Device Name running.
3. Switched on Wifi on iPad Air 2 and logged in with the Password and Device Name.
4. Started Shuttersnitch and I see the camera name on the top of the screen.
5. Created a new collection in Shuttersnitch.
6. Screen on the Sony states 'Connecting', I waited for a minute and nothing really happens.
7. When I press the shutter button Shuttersnitch loses connection.
I'm stuck here at this point, anyone else got it working? Thanks so much.
Wes
Wesley

Re: Can't get Sony A7ii working on a iPad Air 2

Postby TheBrew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Wesley wrote:4. Started Shuttersnitch and I see the camera name on the top of the screen.
6. Screen on the Sony states 'Connecting', I waited for a minute and nothing really happens.

When you exit a collection (step 4 to 5) you will cut the connection to the camera and you'll have to pair it again by entering (or creating) a collection. If the camera doesn't go back to pairing mode between step 5 and 6 it won't connect cleanly.

The sony A7R I added support for had only two modes: 1. Select specific photos and have them pushed to the app. 2. Sharing-mode in which the app is allowed to browse and download photos from the camera (in ShutterSnitch via the tool-button -> "Import images").
If you started taking photos, it would end wi-fi sharing and just go into photo-taking mode. Sadly no option to have it stay connected and push photos to the app.

Are you sure your A7ii supports pushing photos via wi-fi as you take them? Does it work with the Sony app?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Wesley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:37 pm

TheBrew wrote:
Wesley wrote:4. Started Shuttersnitch and I see the camera name on the top of the screen.

When you exit a collection (step 4 to 5) you will cut the connection to the camera and you'll have to pair it again by entering (or creating) a collection. If the camera doesn't go back to pairing mode between step 5 and 6 it won't connect cleanly.

The sony A7R I added support for had only two modes: 1. Select specific photos and have them pushed to the app. 2. Sharing-mode in which the app is allowed to browse and download photos from the camera (in ShutterSnitch via the tool-button -> "Import images").
If you started taking photos, it would end wi-fi sharing and just go into photo-taking mode. Sadly no option to have it stay connected and push photos to the app.

Are you sure your A7ii supports pushing photos via wi-fi as you take them? Does it work with the Sony app?

Hello there!

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I can't even get Shuttersnitch to 'Import images' or browse the camera, it shows up blank on the iPad screen. I'll try again in the morning.

2. The Sony A7ii (which I presume has the same WIFI infrastructure/system) works well with the Sony app. It is slow how and does not allow it to shoot while downloading the image to the iPad.

Best
Wes
Wesley

Postby TheBrew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Do you by any chance have a Mac? If so, I can send you an app we can test with.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Wesley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:59 pm

TheBrew wrote:Do you by any chance have a Mac? If so, I can send you an app we can test with.

Hi!

Yes, I run both Mac and PC. Macbook Pro 2013 model.

Thanks,
Wes
Wesley

Postby TheBrew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 am

Great! I'll mail you when I have a test app ready.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Wesley » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much. I am currently trying out a friend's Eye Fi card in the mean time. :)

Wes

TheBrew wrote:Great! I'll mail you when I have a test app ready.
Wesley

Postby Wesley » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Just used the Eye-Fi to transmit low-rez 6MP data. Transmitted 3 images and my battery power is down by about 10%. Don't think this is a good solution at all lol.

Wes
Wesley

Postby TheBrew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Isn't it a metal camera body? Could be the card doing its best and turning up the signal to transmit through it.. :)

I mailed you ~30 minutes ago - did you receive it?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 pm

I can confirm that ShutterSnitch works with the A7II.

But not with the 'Application' tab. That's all Sony-territory.

I've updated the setup guide to be a bit more specific.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Panasonic LUMIX LINK & ImageApp / Sony DLNA cameras