Is ShutterSnitch Renaming my XT3 files?

Help and ask for help on Fujifilm cameras with built-in Wi-Fi

Is ShutterSnitch Renaming my XT3 files?

Postby jimfelder » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 am

I just shot a headshot today and the file names on the iPad are different than the images on the card. I' using the Wireless Tether Fixed on the XT3. I'm using a TPLINK router as my network. I connect the iPad and the camera to that. I am able to shoot and have the JPGs transferred to the iPad while I'm shooting.

I noticed when I got the images into Lightroom, I used the ShutterSnitch plugin to find the images but it didn't find any. Come to find out the names are completely different names.

DSCF-0003 on iPad
_DSF-4185 in Lightroom and on SD Card

I'm not sure if ShutterSnitch is doing this or not. I can't find where there's any file naming. But also can't find anything on the XT3.

I've not changed anything in ShutterSnitch or the camera. I use to do this with my Nikon D750s builtin wireless straight to iPad. No Router. Never changed the names.

Anyone have this happen?
jimfelder

Re: Is ShutterSnitch Renaming my XT3 files?

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 am

No, ShutterSnitch is not renaming your files. The camera just isn't supplying the actual filenames.

I'm a "file purist" myself so I'll do my very best to get you the original filename and data. That's not possible in this case.

I don't know why but this is how they've chosen to implement the sharing - the camera makes up new filenames. Sony cameras do the same.

Canon and Nikon cameras play nice and pretty much just share what's on the card.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jimfelder » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 pm

I thought that was the case. Thanks for the reply!
jimfelder

Postby jimfelder » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 am

TheBrew wrote:No, ShutterSnitch is not renaming your files. The camera just isn't supplying the actual filenames.

I'm a "file purist" myself so I'll do my very best to get you the original filename and data. That's not possible in this case.

I don't know why but this is how they've chosen to implement the sharing - the camera makes up new filenames. Sony cameras do the same.

Canon and Nikon cameras play nice and pretty much just share what's on the card.

I called Fuji regarding this issue. They said it has to be the software "ShutterSnitch" because the camera has no way of doing that. So both sides are blaming the other. I'm stuck.

Where do I go from here with Wireless Tether? I have resorted to wired tether to a laptop using Lightroom. UGH. I hate being tethered. My Nikon D750s work beautifully with SS but I'm transitioning to Fuji for a list of reasons. Mainly the weight but that's another post. I would love to be able to continue using SS.

Thank You
Jim
jimfelder

Postby TheBrew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am

Sorry, but apparently that Fujifilm representative doesn’t know what they’re talking about. I’m sure they’re just guessing that “of course their camera doesn’t do that”. There are a few quirks about Fujifilm’s PTP protocol, filenaming being one of them. I was genuinely scratching my head while adding support for these thinking “Do they know what they’re doing?”. Which is a real shame because I *love* their cameras too.

A workaround could be to get a wi-fi card instead.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Fujifilm Wi-Fi