How to connect Canon EOS R5

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

How to connect Canon EOS R5

Postby Plini » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:32 am

Dear Team

have been a happy snuttersnitch user with the Nikon WT5 for years.

Now I had to switch to a Canon R5 and am a little lost. I prefer Shuttersnitch over the Canon IMage transfer utility and am looking for a step by step guide to connect R5 to Shuttersnitch.
If possible with autotransfer which I think I can set in the camera.

Please help ;-)

Best regards Harald
Plini

Re: How to connect Canon EOS R5

Postby TheBrew » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:48 am

Hi Harald,

I don't have an R5 myself, but I know it's confirmed to work.

The first thing you should do is go to the 'Options' -> 'Setup Guide' in the collection overview in ShutterSnitch, select 'Canon EOS / High-end Powershot' and tap 'Done'.

From looking at the manual, page 584 and onward "Connecting to a Smartphone", I can at least point you to the right steps:

* Ignore any Bluetooth options - go with Wi-Fi. So start on page 600 selecting 'Connect to smartphone' -> Add a device to connect to -> iOS -> Connect via Wi-Fi.
* You won't need the Camera Connect app installed. In fact, if you do, don't open it when the camera asks for it (that'll mess things up). Instead open ShutterSnitch and make sure you're inside a collection.

If anyone with an R5 can help with a guide, please chip in!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby NickC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello. I’ve been using Shuttersnitch with Canon for years, and now have an R5 so I can be of some help.

There are several ways to connect Canon cameras to Shuttersnitch, which can cause confusion. The easiest and slowest is the "connect to smartphone" on the camera. The fastest, but requires a little more configuring is via FTP. (and better yet, if you have your own router)

Connect to Smartphone
This method is available on I *think* every Canon camera that has Wifi built in. At least on the 6D2, 5D4, 5Ds/5DsR with wifi card, EOS R, 1DX line with WFT, 1DX3 built in WiFi and with WFT, R5, R6 with and without the WFT grip. This method works, but is usually slower to transfer than FTP. Brian already outlined the steps needed to connect. Basically the camera makes the wifi network, you connect the iPad to it, and then when you open shuttersnitch, the camera sees it and you’re off and running. It’s easier to configure, but is slower to transfer.

FTP
This method Canon puts on what I call their higher tier WiFi enabled cameras. So for example, the 5D4, R5, R6, 1DX line, and anything that uses the dedicated WiFi adapter, like the WFT dongles or battery grips. It’s far faster to transfer pictures, has more features, like sending via the SET button, and also works with Shuttersnitch, so this is what I’ll outline below.

//——————————————————————
Good method - Directions for connecting the R5 to Shuttersnitch using the built-in WiFi to create a network

First configure:
Network1 Menu > Airplane Mode: Off
Network1 Menu > WiFi Settings: Enable
WiFi: Enable
Connection History: Show
Send to Smartphone after shot: enable <This is only if you connect via the “Connect to smartphone”. I turn it on anyway
FTP Transfer settings
Automatic transfer: enable
Transfer Type/size: SmallerJpeg
RAW+JPEG transfer: Jpeg only

Transfer with Set: enable (so you can transfer any images that may have not transferred by hitting SET)
Network1 Menu > Bluetooth Settings: Disable (to conserve battery)
Network1 Menu > Nickname: EOSR5 (just to keep things straight)

Then go into
Network1 Menu > WiFi/Bluetooth Connection and select “Transfer images to FTP Server”
Select “Add a device to connect to”
“Configure Online”
In “select a network” choose “Camera access point mode”
Select “Manual connection” so you can enter your own SSID <<< you can use Auto here to simplify the following items, however there are a few items that will make your connection more solid that I’ll outline below.
Name your wifi network the camera will create. I shorted what’s there so it simply reads “EOSR5”
Channel setting, I suggest using a channel from 149 to 165 to make sure you take advantage of the huge speed increase of the 5Ghz bands the R5 can utilize. I’ve learned that iPads have issues with 165.
AES encryption so you can use a password
Set your password
IP address settings, select manual.
IP address, I choose 10.0.1.1 only because it’s shorter to type than the default. This is setting the IP address of your camera.
Subnet mask, default of 255.255.255.0 is fine.

Next, the “waiting to connect” screen means your camera is broadcasting the network you just made, so go to your iPad and join the WiFi network coming from your camera. The details are displayed there for your reference.

After the iPad is connected, start Shuttersnitch and be sure you’re inside a collection.

In FTP Mode, select FTP
FTP Server (the Shuttersnitch installation on your iPad)
Check what IP address it received from your camera and enter it here. It’s displayed by Shuttersnitch at the top of a collection when you enter it. Mine was 10.0.1.130
Port number is what you have set in Shuttersnitch settings. I set mine to 26000. Yours will be different.

Passive Mode is disabled
Proxy Server is disabled

Login method is Login password
Login name is what you have set up in Shuttersnitch settings. CASE SENSITIVE
Password is also what you have set up in Shuttersnitch settings. CASE SENSITIVE

Target Folder is Root Folder

After you hit OK, it should say “Connected to FTP Server.

Now that you’ve connected to the iPad, it will save the connection in a list.

//——————————————————————

//——————————————————————
Better method - Directions for connecting the R5 to Shuttersnitch using the built-in WiFi to an existing network
All of the steps above apply EXCEPT, when it asks you to select a WiFi Network, select an existing network instead of Camera Access Point Mode.

//——————————————————————

//——————————————————————
Best method - Directions for connecting the R5 to Shuttersnitch using the WFT Grip to an existing network
All of the steps above apply EXCEPT:

Network1 Menu > WiFi Settings: Disable (because this refers to the internal wifi, not the WFT grip with much better antenna and speed)
Network2 Menu > WFT Settings > Network: Enable
Here’s where you’ll configure all of your Network (Comm) and FTP (function) Settings. It’s a little simpler with a WFT because you can save presets for each device if you have multiple iPads or networks you connect to. I wont go into all of these details here because the post is already long, but let me know if you need help with this if anyone has a WFT.

//——————————————————————

Also, a little background for using the camera network vs using a router. Differences below.

//———————————
Camera created wifi network
Advantages
- No additional hardware needed

Disadvantages
- Limited range or about 30ft for all devices
- No ability to connect to more than 1 device to the camera
- More battery drain on the camera
- Often there are connectivity issues because the camera battery dies, goes to sleep, is out of range, etc.
//———————————

//———————————
Connecting to existing wifi network
Advantages
- MUCH longer range for the ipad: 450 ft vs 30ft
- A 20,000 mah Battery will last all day (12+ hours) so its set it and forget it.
- Ability to connect virtually unlimited devices to the network. Apple TV’s for viewing, multiple iPads, etc.
- if an internet modem is connected to your router, any device connected can also get online. So for sending images to dropbox or around the globe while you shoot right from Shuttersnitch for example.
- More control over IP addresses of the devices so you can, for example, always have the iPad at 10.0.1.2 so there is some clarity in setting things up
- less power drain on the camera

Disadvantages
- You need extra hardware (wifi router and battery) if you plan on using this in the field.
//———————————

//———————————
Canon WFT/battery grip advantages (WFT Settings Menu)***
- MUCH longer range for the camera: 450 ft vs 30ft
- Much faster transfers

*one note if using a camera with ONLY 2.4Ghz built in wireless (not a WFT), and a router. Connect the iPads to the 5Ghz network, and the camera to the 2.4Ghz network. This greatly speeds up the transfers because the older 2.4Ghz cameras dont have MIMO.
//———————————

//———————————
My Recommended Router as of Nov 8, 2020.
My recommended Wifi Router at the moment is the slightly older Amplifi HD, because you can power it with any QC3.0 USB C battery pack. It has tremendous range (max U.S. allowable db of transmit power) and is very small. Also, you can extend it’s range with the even smaller Amplifi Instant boxes, which are also powered via the same QC3.0 USB-C port. Useful if you’re using the built-in wireless of a camera and want to get more range than the 30ft. *Any WFT from canon will have 450ft range, just like an iPad.

One more advantage for this router in the field is it has an app based setup and management, so if you need to change a setting, it’s a tad simpler and faster than opening up a web browser
//———————————
NickC

Postby Plini » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Super - I'm just working trough it to understand the differences.

Many thanks!

Will this setup send the pictures automatically to the ipad?
Plini

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi