Canon CR3 raw files now supported

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Canon CR3 raw files now supported

Postby ZikD22 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 am

Great news in that Canon's CR3 raw file format is now fully supported at system level in latest iOS, iPadOS and MacOS updates. However the work around of reading the embedded JPEG file remains in Shuttersnitch so we can't render the raw image within the app. I get a small JPEG when attempting to export.
ZikD22

Re: Canon CR3 raw files now supported

Postby TheBrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:49 am

From where did you learn that it's supported on the latest iOS?

I'm running 14.4 and it doesn't seem to be able to parse these CR3s. Neither the Photos app or the system framework apps can use to read images. (I test the parsing capability by adding the CR3 to my Photos app on my Mac which syncs with my iPad - and on that it shows up as a gray box with an "Unable to Load Photo" error.)

It *does* work in Big Sur 11.1 and in ShutterSnitch on my M1 Mac though. (Awesome!)

So maybe the next iOS update will add the support?

(And just to clarify: the workaround I added is simply a fallback asking the system to read the photo and if it can't, ShutterSnitch will instead fetch the embedded JPEG.)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ZikD22 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:12 pm

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Works with my Canon 1DX III CR3 RAW files on iPad Pro.
ZikD22

Postby TheBrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Weird. No love on my iPad mini 5th gen.

Anyway, all I can say is ShutterSnitch uses the system framework to load the photo and if it fails it falls back on the embedded JPEG. So if you're getting the embedded JPEG, the system didn't supply a parsed raw.

And I can rule out it being a bug in my app since it works on the M1. I get flashbacks to the original CR3 format which also caused a lot of extreme weirdness. I wonder if we're in for another ride here.

Hah, just as I write this, I tried simply connecting my iPad to the Mac with a USB cable to see if some parser-info got transferred in the background, I go back to my Photos app - and boom it shows the photo. No more gray box. But I can't zoom more than the JPEG sized preview.

Then I go back to ShutterSnitch and whatta-ya-know: it parses the raw file. And can zoom to the full size. I did have to two-finger-double-tap the photo to have ShutterSnitch refresh the file info first though. (Keep an eye on the top right-hand corner - it'll flash the current position once it's refreshed the info.)

A good way to check if it really does parse the raw and isn't just fetching the embedded JPEG: In filmstrip mode, tap and hold the photo in the filmstrip and select "File information". If it's the embedded preview you won't get any info on the Details page. If it's parsed you will.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ZikD22 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

It’s still using the embedded JPEG in ShutterSnitch will try to refresh it somehow.

Got it working now. All fine and rendering both RAW and cRAW files from Canon 1DX III
ZikD22

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi