How to connect Canon EOS R5

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: How to connect Canon EOS R5

Postby NickC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:04 pm

owenmain wrote:Hi -

Here's my use case/environment:

* 1DX ii with WFT
* iPHone with ShutterSnitch
* Verizon Jetpack, which lets me get out to the Internet and acts as the hub that everything's connected to
(I've been using the above 2 with my iPhone to send photos to Dropbox with an action so my client gets live images during games)

I've recently added an R5 to the mix. I'd like it to also connect in the same way the 1DXii does, where I can hit "set" and the photos just move. I've connected things well enough to get a connection confirmed by ShutterSnitch, which tells me that the R5 is connected, I just can't figure out the place in the R5 menu to go to establish "Transfer on set" or whatever that menu item is. Or maybe I need to start over with something.... I feel like I'm one step away but I could be a mile away....

TIA for any help. -Owen

Hi Owen, that option is only available if you set things up to transfer via FTP. Have you done that method? If so:
- If you're using the built-in wifi, it's Purple menu 1 > WiFi Settings (Enable) > FTP transfer settings > Automatic Transfer (Enable) > Transfer with SET (Enable)
- If you're using the WFT transmitter, it's Purple menu 2 > WFT Settings > Connection Option Settings > FTP transfer settings > Automatic Transfer (Enable) > Transfer with SET (Enable)

If you've set the connection up with another method, like smartphone, or anything else, you'll need to change it to FTP.
NickC

Postby owenmain » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 pm

Thanks for the response.

So I followed all the same FTP settings as in my 1DXii and it stays on a "Busy... Please wait." screen for minutes at a time after. Finally I get the "Cannot Connect to FTP server" message. :-(

I tried clearing all communication settings and starting over and still just freezes right up when I do it. Connects to the JetPack fine during the process. But can't seem to make that final connection via FTP with the phone and Shuttersnitch....
owenmain

Postby NickC » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 pm

owenmain wrote:Thanks for the response.

So I followed all the same FTP settings as in my 1DXii and it stays on a "Busy... Please wait." screen for minutes at a time after. Finally I get the "Cannot Connect to FTP server" message. :-(

I tried clearing all communication settings and starting over and still just freezes right up when I do it. Connects to the JetPack fine during the process. But can't seem to make that final connection via FTP with the phone and Shuttersnitch....

Do you pay for a subscription to shuttersnitch? You have to maintain a subscription to use it with all of the newer cameras since canon changes the way they communicate frequently.
NickC

Postby NickC » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:08 am

owenmain wrote:Thanks for the response.

Also, beyond making sure you’re up to date with your subscription and updates, since you have two cameras connecting to one ftp server, I would make everything have a static IP address, so that you’re not relying on features of the jetpack to pass alone search requests foe the ftp server. It gets a little hairy explaining all the network protocols, but you can bypass all the trouble by assigning static IP addresses to all your devices so that you can manually put in the address of the server (shuttersnitch, so your phone’s IP address when connected to the jetpack) in both cameras and have it always work and always be the same.
NickC

Postby owenmain » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Yes, I maintain a subscription.

I tried JUST doing it with the R5 (1DXii turned off) and it still wouldn't work.

I think I do have a firmware update to the R5, so I'll work on that and try again.

I called CPS and they were pretty stumped. They suggested the firmware update or that I buy the $999 wifi grip for the R5....

Will keep trying....
owenmain

Postby NickC » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:29 pm

owenmain wrote:Yes, I maintain a subscription.

I tried JUST doing it with the R5 (1DXii turned off) and it still wouldn't work.

I think I do have a firmware update to the R5, so I'll work on that and try again.

I called CPS and they were pretty stumped. They suggested the firmware update or that I buy the $999 wifi grip for the R5....

Will keep trying....

Alright. I can walk through things with you if you like. Get ahold of me via my website so I’m not blasting my contact info on a forum. NickCollura.com
NickC

Previous

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi