Canon EOS 6d

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Canon EOS 6d

Postby Felix222 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 am

hello
Does Shuttersnitch support the new Canon EOS 6d ?
Regards
Felix
Felix222

Re: Canon EOS 6d

Postby TheBrew » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:56 am

Too soon to say, sorry.

But if it doesn't, you can be sure that I'll be trying to make it work! :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby memmi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 am

Have a EOS 6D in my possession and just purchased the shuttersnitch app. Was unable to get SS to recognize the camera in any of the connection modes the camera offers.

Happy to work with TheBrew to get this functionality going. Let me know if there's something else I can try on my end or information I can send on the functionality that would be helpful.

Matt
memmi

Postby TheBrew » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Nice :)

Mine should arrive "during the month of December", so if we can't make it work with the current version of ShutterSnitch, I'll definitely make it work with a future release.

From what I read in the manual, it should work (unless they changed something in the EOS Utility).

But.. When I tested with my WFT the tricky part was to hit the exact right moment to connect to it. It was a little picky about that (that's why I haven't been talking too loud about support for it).

Nice to know before you go on: when you exit a collection, it's the same as disconnecting from the camera (please give it a couple of seconds to stop the service). The moment you enter a collection, you tell ShutterSnitch to connect to the camera.
You set up the camera (host) to connect to in the settings under PTP/IP transfers. This (of course..:) has to be enabled and you set the host IP to the IP of the camera.

Here's what I'd try (going for the ad-hoc setup):

1. Go back to the collection overview in ShutterSnitch.
2. On your camera, go to the third wrench-tab in the settings an make sure that Wi-Fi is enabled.
3. Pick the Wi-Fi function (pick a "nickname" if you haven't already) and pick the "Connect to smartphone" option.
4. Pick "Camera access point mode", then "Easy connection".
5. Open the Settings app on your iOS device and join the Canon wi-fi network in the Wi-Fi section.
6. Here's where it gets hazy for me, since I don't have the hardware in hand - but I think the "IP address" you see on the camera display is the IP of the camera.. In that case: in the Settings app in your iOS device, scroll down to ShutterSnitch in the Apps section, tap it, make sure that PTP/IP transfers are enabled and then put in the IP of the camera.
7. Go back to ShutterSnitch and enter a collection. .....if you're really lucky, it'll connect to the camera.

The last couple of steps take a lot of probing and tinkering if things don't work. Things have to sync up just right, so hitting the right moment of joining the network / entering a collection could be the key. Maybe turning off the camera off and on / restarting the join-process will get you connected.

If nothing works, picking the PC icon in step 3 may be the solution.

Of course, if this turns out to be a race-to-hit-just-the-right-moment I'll optimize ShutterSnitch to try this automatically ..it's just hard to do when I don't have the hardware to test with :) Here's hoping I'll get it soon.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby memmi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Hmm, Close! After manually adding the camera IP address, The camera says connected to shuttersnitch/2.6.2 (iOS 6.0.1) but the app does not seem to do much exciting. Much tinkering / probing to no avail.
memmi

Postby MadDawgJ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Page 16 of the Manual TheBrew linked to shows the wifi display icons, is it showing the error or transfering or what after you take a picture?
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby memmi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 pm

It shows:
* [Antenna]
* WiFi
* On

All solid, which indicates: "Connected Data is being transferred Waiting for Connection" according to the manual. Yet nothing shows up on the shuttersnitch collection.

Shuttersnitch connection info says "connected to canon 6D".

We must be very close as each device sees each other. I'm getting images in the set from my eyefi on a 5dmkIII.
memmi

Postby TheBrew » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Wow, that's good news! The connection is the hard part.

If you tap the wrench-button and pick "Import images" - can you pick the 6D and import photos manually?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby memmi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Ooo! that did it.

New images don't pull down automatically as they do with the EyeFi but they show up via manual "wrench" mode.
memmi

Postby TheBrew » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Nice :)

The import-thing is just a little nice-to-have feature. ShutterSnitch should also detect when a new photo is taken and then retrieve it, but it doesn't surprise me if that part doesn't work. It seems that each camera manufacturer has their specific way of notifying about changes. Maybe Canon made a tiny change from the old WFT way with the 6D.

I'll contact you privately to see if we can get closer to knowing what to listen for.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi