6D GPS

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

6D GPS

Postby CGDaveMac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:40 am

I have a new Canon 6D and like the fact that it has built in GPS so I don't have to remember to use Shuttersnitch at each location to ensure properly geo-tagged photos.

However, the 6D may not reliably get a GPS fix indoors and only tags some photos if there isn't a GPS lock. Can I set Shuttersnitch to only add GPS metadata if it doesn't already exist in the photo? I don't want to overwrite correct GPS coordinates with possibly incorrect GPS coordinates.
CGDaveMac

Re: 6D GPS

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 am

I assume you mean GeoSnitch in your first paragraph?

Have you tried it? It shouldn't mark the files that have already been tagged.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby CGDaveMac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:29 am

No, I use Shuttersnitch to add GPS location to each image. My workflow has always been to take a bunch of pictures and ensure I always download all photos from camera to Shuttersnitch before I leave.

My Action is Shuttersnitch is: Add metadata (GPS)... Save to Camera Roll.

This has always been the way I do it, but more important now that Apple Photos doesn't allow addition of GPS metadata (at least until the next version.)

I haven't checked yet, but I am guessing that this would overwrite and GPS metadata that the camera has already added.
CGDaveMac

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Aha, OK. I guess I could add a 'Latitude/Longitude' option to the 'Condition' action so you can set it up to test if it's 0 (Edit: Changed in later versions - test if the field is blank, not 0). If it is, run a an action that updates the location. And then finally save to the camera roll.

Until then a workaround could be to test on the 'Artist' field of the exif info and change that under 4th wrench icon in the 6D menu -> "Copyright information" -> "Enter author's name". Essentially, fill it out with for example the number '1' when you want ShutterSnitch to geo-tag and leave it blank when you don't.

Then you would set up two action tasks:

Task 1:
Update metadata -> Geolocation

Task 2:
Condition -> If 'Artist' is '1' -> Perform task -> Task 1 (Update metadata -> Geolocation).
Save to camera roll

Then let Task 2 be the one performed when you receive new photos.

I'll add the latitude/longitude options to version 3.4.9.
3.4.8 is currently in review and needs to go through before I can submit the next version, so it can take a couple of weeks before you see 3.4.9.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby CGDaveMac » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:47 am

Thanks! This is great software that is very versatile and obviously you are a supportive and proactive developer.

Until the update, I also realized that I could also NOT set Shuttersnitch to do any action and THEN after import can easily see which photos have geotags or not and add those manually by pressing the plus icon on the map and adding location.

What's the difference between adding current location and "last known location."
CGDaveMac

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am

CGDaveMac wrote:What's the difference between adding current location and "last known location."

"Current" is the actual location you're at and "Last known" is the location of the last photo you viewed that had a location.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Doun17 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:43 am

Hello ,

I am implementing the recommendation made in this thread about checking for Lattitude = 0 in a condition before updating the current GPS location in the metadata. Unfortunately I cannot get this to work as a photo that does not have any location data cannot be checked for a zero value. Is there another way of doing this? It’s almost as if you need to check for nil value in order to make this work. Please advise I have been trying to get this to work for days.

Thanks
Doun17

Postby TheBrew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 am

Sorry for the trouble - at some point over the years that part of the code changed a little bit.

The solution is to just leave the Altitude condition field blank instead of putting in '0'.

Thanks for pointing it out!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Doun17 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I tried using the altitude but still cannot get it to work. I will try again tomorrow when I am outside but so far have had no luck.
Thanks
Doun17

Postby TheBrew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Oh, works fine here. When I say "blank" I mean *nothing*. Not a blank space. Nothing at all in the field.

If it still doesn't work for you, it could be because the metadata is different from mine. If so, could you attach a sample photo for me to test with? Or you could go into the ShutterSnitch settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on "Traffic Inspector", then try performing the update-action. You'll now see the condition-comparison values in the Traffic Inspector log. Maybe that'll help us closer to what the issue is.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi