Canon 1DX II WFT-E8A and shutternitch

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Canon 1DX II WFT-E8A and shutternitch

Postby DiscGolfer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Has anyone been able to get this set up? I am struggling to get shuttersnitch to receive files from my 1DX II via the WFT-E8A. Any help on the setup would be greatly appreciated.
DiscGolfer

Re: Canon 1DX II WFT-E8A and shutternitch

Postby TheBrew » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't have one myself, but I'll do my best to help.

Do you connect your iOS device directly to a network the WFT creates or do you want to transfer over a local wi-fi network?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby DiscGolfer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 pm

I am trying to get a connection via the ad hoc network created by the WFT-E8A. I have been able to establish connectivity via browser and WFT but that doesn't allow me to use the shuttersnitch app. Connecting to the Canon app also works but allows too much control. I need to be able to allow for viewing of the images without control of the camera (or deleting the images from the camera).
DiscGolfer

Postby TheBrew » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 pm

OK, so it'll be this guide you'll need to follow.

Make sure you pick "FTP trans." for the Communication Mode. Not "FTP Server".

How far do you get in the guide?

While troubleshooting it's a good idea to turn on the Traffic Inspector (all the way at the bottom in the ShutterSnitch settings).
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby DiscGolfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:49 pm

The settings for the WFT-E8A are a bit different than what is in the guide. I have a choice of what type of connection method I want to create: Infrastructure, ad hoc 11a, ad hoc 11b/g. Once the method is selected I set up the name, channel setting, security (if any) and password. All of that goes smoothly but once that piece is complete it tries to create the ad hoc network and fails with "No response from wireless LAN terminal". I've reattached the WFT-E8A and tried all of the connection methods, same result. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the WFT-E8A at this point. I thought I'd see if anyone else has this setup and has it working before I attempt a return of the device. I am also unable to locate any useful information on the Canon forums.
DiscGolfer

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Yeah, that does sound strange. Like a physically lose connection or something?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby DiscGolfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Not that I can tell. I have removed and reset it several times. It also has a locking mechanism and seems very stable and secure.
DiscGolfer

Postby DiscGolfer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

After a few minutes with Canon support I now have it working. I was missing the step after I selected the connection method where I needed to go into the ipad and find the ad hoc network. The network shows up below the space where the regular (internet capable) connections show. Once I realized that the rest of the setup went without a hitch. Thanks for the suggestions but it appears it was lack of a vision on my part.
DiscGolfer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 am

You're welcome. Good to hear you got it working!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby silvertank » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Got it working! This is awesome! This is so much better than Eye-Fi cards!

So, I see this will transfer images to ShutterSnitch even if the application is not active. However, it will not transfer if the iPad is not active. Is this correct? If so, is there any way to turn off the ipad screen and let it still transfer??

Edit : I take that all back. It's not working again and I have no clue what's wrong. I went through this thread multiple time and cannot get it to work again. HELP!!!
Last edited by silvertank on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
silvertank

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi