Mixing Canon bodies on one LAN

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Mixing Canon bodies on one LAN

Postby Stevemaller » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:51 pm

I am a dedicated and happy ShutterSnitch user with my 5D Mark III bodies and WFT units. I use them in infrastructure mode primarily to send JPEG files to my iPads for reviewing headshots as they're shot.
Occasionally I have a larger gig where I have multiple photographers working with me, and what I do is get additional 5D bodies and WFT units, and configure each to speak to a matching iPad.
I am considering upgrading to the 5D Mark IV and I'm wondering if the built-in Wifi has the same functionality as the WFT's.
And does the 6D have the same functionality as well?
Again, this is all being done on my own closed wifi network in infrastructure mode.
Thanks!
Stevemaller

Re: Mixing Canon bodies on one LAN

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Yes! The 5D Mk4 has the ability to transfer to an FTP server just like with the WFTs. So that should be possible.

The 6D however doesn't. It only offers the direct connection option between camera and iOS device, so you're limited to one 6D camera at a time.

I'm guessing it would work connecting one 6D and a couple of 5D Mk4 cameras at the same time though.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MadDawgJ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Also if you decide to use one iPad, or have all the iPads upload to one master, make sure you set each camera to use a unique file name. I.e. CAMa0000.jpg, CAMb0000.jpg etc so you don't have them each sending a file named IMG0000.jpg.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby Stevemaller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:28 pm

TheBrew wrote:Yes! The 5D Mk4 has the ability to transfer to an FTP server just like with the WFTs. So that should be possible.
The 6D however doesn't. It only offers the direct connection option between camera and iOS device, so you're limited to one 6D camera at a time.
I'm guessing it would work connecting one 6D and a couple of 5D Mk4 cameras at the same time though.

Interesting.
So if I have a network with two 6D bodies and each is talking to a different iPad, that'll work, right?
Stevemaller

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:31 pm

Stevemaller wrote:So if I have a network with two 6D bodies and each is talking to a different iPad, that'll work, right?

Correct.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi