Can I use two devices with Shuttersnitch at the same time?

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Can I use two devices with Shuttersnitch at the same time?

Postby jens_ryden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi!

I wonder if there's a way to connect two Ipads with Shuttersnitch to a single Canon EOS 5D mkIV?
I did a short test and it's possible to connect both Ipads wifi to the camera.
But only one Ipad with Shuttersnitch did connect with the camera and received the files.
Is this possible to do in any way or workaround?
jens_ryden

Re: Can I use two devices with Shuttersnitch at the same tim

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 pm

So far they only support one client connection. And I'm guessing it's not a priority for Canon to support more than one.

A workaround would be to use a Transcend Wi-Fi card instead and connect both ShutterSnitches to that.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jens_ryden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Do you know if it's possible to use a Wifi-card and connect one Ipad Shuttersnitch to the Canon internal wifi, and the other Ipad Shuttersnitch to the Wifi SD-card?
jens_ryden

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I think that's possible yes. I'll try it when I get time later today and report back!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Oook. I can confirm that it'll work. But I wouldn't use this setup. Too finicky.

The thing is, if more than one client is connected to the camera wi-fi, it won't reboot the PTP/IP service if the connected client closes down the connection.

So if you exit a collection / enter the export mode / loose the connection somehow, the camera will show that it's lost the connection (blinking wi-fi on the display) - but won't reconnect until you turn the camera off and on again ..which then causes both of your iOS devices to lose the connection.

Connecting both iOS devices to the wi-fi card is much less of a head ache. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jens_ryden » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you for checking out that for me!

Well, it sounds like it might be worth checking out the Transcend Wifi-card and give it a shot.
Are there any downsides using a wifi-card compared to the camera's internal wifi?
Slower?
Less wifi reach?
Less stable?
jens_ryden

Postby TheBrew » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:37 pm

The wi-fi reach / signal strength is lower than the one on the camera, since it's trapped inside the body / usually has a smaller antenna.

Everything else depends on your specific situation (wi-fi noise / obstructions).
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi