Canon eos R

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Canon eos R

Postby imacri » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:40 am

Hi,

I just bought the new full frame mirrorless from Canon, it has wifi and Bluetooth inside.
Unfortunately I can't make it work with Shutter snitch. The camera gives me an error 11 trying to connect to my ipad.
It works with Canon's app.
I know it's a very new camera but maybe one day you can take a look and make it work with your app.

Thanks,
Ionut
imacri

Re: Canon eos R

Postby TheBrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:15 am

Yeah, the EOS R is not currently supported. When I have a chance to get my hands on one, I’ll look into it!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby imacri » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:26 am

I made some progress since my initial message.
I installed the app on a new iPad. Now I can connect the camera with the app, ad-hoc and through infrastructure.
The app can see the camera and I can import the images on the card but the camera doesn't see itself connected to the app and doesn't transfer automatically the pictures I make.
imacri

Postby NickC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 am

I’ve gotten things to work by selecting egos utility in the camera and setting auto transfer to on. My issu however is that if the session disconnects halfway through the shoot, there’s no way to send the images to the iPad that haven’t transferred. Any help here from anyone would be appreciated.
NickC

Postby NickC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am

Ahh I see the advantage of connecting via the “smartphone” selection on the camera, and the “cameraWindow” option on in ShutterSnitch. If it works in a future update, the ca,era will be able to send images to the iPad manually in addition to automatically.

Yes, please, someone get this man an EOS R! Id be willing to pay for a rental to get you the camera.
NickC

Postby TheBrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 am

That's very kind of you. :)

Do you by any chance have a Mac? In case it's just a silly little thing that trips it all up, perhaps a capture of the network traffic can help me fix it. No promises, but worth a try I guess.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby NickC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

I do indeed have a mac. Let me know how to capture the network traffic and I'll send it over.
NickC

Postby TheBrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Great! To capture the traffic, you need to have Xcode installed - if you don't, note that it's ..big.. you'll probably need to have about 10-15GB free space to install it.

Once it's installed, run it, and it'll ask to install Command Line Tools - yes please.

Then connect your iOS device via USB and open "Devices and Simulators" (Window -> Devices and Simulators). If this is the first time you attach your device to Xcode, the device will ask you to confirm that you trust this computer.

Click your device in the list on the left and you'll see a long "Identifier" number for it. Double-click the number to select it, then right click it and choose 'Copy'.

Press Cmd+Space to open Spotlight and type "Term" to find Terminal.app and press enter.

Here's where the magic happens - create a Remote Virtual Interface with the following command:
Code: Select all
rvictl -s <paste the identifier you just copied from Xcode>

It should say something like "Starting device xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [SUCCEEDED] with interface rvi0'.

To start capturing network traffic on the new interface rvi0, type:
sudo tcpdump -i rvi0 -v -w ~/Desktop/eosr.pcap

It'll ask for your computer password, since this is not something everybody should be able to do..

To end a capture, you simply press Control+c.

Don't open ShutterSnitch. I need a clean capture of things working as they should with the Canon app.

To keep things clean, it'd be great if you could separate the captures into say 2 files:
* One with the pairing, then entering a 'recieve as you take pictures mode', and finally taking a photo.
* Another with a pairing, then browsing the existing photos on the camera, picking one, and downloading it.

Please keep in mind, that I'll be able to restore that photo from the cap, so don't make it a photo of any sensitive information please.. I don't want to invade your privacy! :)

When you're done capturing, you can remove the virtual interface by typing:
rvictl -x <the identifier you copied from Xcode>

To attach the pcap files in this forum, it's probably best to right-click each file and choose "Compress ..". So you can attach them as a zip files.

Did I scare you away or are you still up to trying it? :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby NickC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm on it! I have to finish processing this shoot, but I'll start in about 30 mins.

Thanks!
NickC

Postby TheBrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Awesome!
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi