Canon eos R

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Canon eos R

Postby franktsang » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 am

is there any method to enable viewing EOS R CR3 raw file within the app? thank you very much~
franktsang

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:48 am

ShutterSnitch asks iOS to load the images, so it’ll start working when Apple eventually releases an iOS update that supports reading CR3 files.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 am

Whoa. Well, I just ..think.. I learned something.

It looks like raw support isn't necessarily tied to iOS updates. This just happened on my iPad running iOS 12.1 (two official releases behind):

I don't have an EOS R, so I Googled some sample files and downloaded one - the preview icon was white on my latest version of MacOS (Mojave 10.14.2). I downloaded the corresponding JPEG - the preview icon was a nice little thumbnail.

I then opened ShutterSnitch on my iPad and transferred the CR3 and JPEG to a collection. As expected I got the "Unsupported file format" for the raw file and the JPEG showed up just fine.

The fact that the unsupported file didn't get an "empty" outline in the filmstrip bothered me, so I made that little change in Xcode, hooked up my iPad to my Mac, built and ran the modified version on the iPad. And was shocked when it actually showed the CR3!

The change couldn't possibly have been related to it suddenly being able to read it. So I installed the App Store version of ShutterSnitch, created a clean collection, downloaded a new CR3 sample from the internet - and noticed that the Finder now shows thumbnails for both the CR3 that was previously white, and the new one. Transferred the new CR3 - without being connected via a cable to my Mac - and boom. It reads and displays the CR3.

So.. my far fetched guess: MacOS automatically checks in with Apple if it runs into an unreadable raw file to see if there are new raw-parsers available. If there are, it updates and whenever iOS devices are attached (and they trust the computer) those raw parsers are automatically updated on the device too..? Or perhaps the iOS device itself auto-checks and downloads parsers in the background if it runs into an unreadable format? I have no idea. All I know is that it suddenly works here..!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Hm. Update.

I tried to dig deeper, this time using my iPhone running iOS 12.1.2. I couldn't make it show CR3 files even if I connected it to my Mac and waited for a long time.

I could only make it work by having Xcode push a new build of ShutterSnitch to it. After doing that, the App Store version would also start to parse CR3 files. Maybe that push also syncs newer parsing libraries from the Mac?

I wonder if using the Camera Connection Kit to import raw files from the SD card will have iOS download the latest parsers. I'll try that later today and report back.

Hard to test since once a device magically starts supporting the format, there's no going back. Have to find a new iOS device that hasn't been "blessed" yet. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Progress report:

The Camera Connection Kit supports reading CR3 on iOS 12, but importing from there doesn't affect ShutterSnitch's ability to read it. EDIT: Oh, the import dialog shows the thumbnail, but importing just results in a gray square and unreadable photo. EDIT 2: Oh, oh, good news. Will post back when I have all details.

The weird news is that the current App Store version has no problem reading CR3 files, as you can see in the attached video.

The 'ok' news is that totally wiping the iOS device will let me (very very slowly) get back to the "broken" state so I can try new ways of "opening it up".

The bad news is, so far, I've only been able to open up the capability by having Xcode install ShutterSnitch once. After that, it just works. I can delete my developer version and install the App Store version and it still works. But naturally that's not going to help you much.

I'll keep trying different things, but I have a feeling I'll run out of ideas before Apple actually fixes it with a future iOS update.
Attachments

ScreenRecording_12-19-2018 16-34-31.MP4 [ 5.87 MiB | Viewed 786 times ]

TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

It's a Festivus miracle! At least if you have a Mac.. I can't imagine this solution will work on Windows:

1. You should be able to view the CR3 in the Finder. I'm guessing MacOS auto-updates its raw parsers if it encounters a raw file it doesn't understand. If the thumbnail is white on your computer, try pressing the spacebar to bring up the Quick-Look preview. Maybe that'll trigger an update.
2. AirDrop the CR3 to your device from your Mac (or use the Camera Connection Kit if you have one). Select the file in the Finder, click the button with a box+an arrow going out of it, choose AirDrop, click your device. It'll show up as a grey square in the Photos app since iOS isn't yet able to parse those raws. If it *does* display it, you can skip to step 5.
3. Now connect your iOS device to your Mac with a cable. If this is the first time you've done that, it'll ask if you trust it - yes. Now open iTunes and let it sync with your device.
4. In the Photos app on your iOS device, do a pinch-to-zoom gesture on the grey square. If the raw parser has been transferred and loaded, it'll now be able to render the photo. It can take a little while before it kicks in.
5. Now that you know iOS can read the raw file, ShutterSnitch can too. You may need to kill it first though - double-click the Home button (or, on newer devices without one, drag up from the bottom) to enter the app-switcher. Then find ShutterSnitch and swipe up on it to kill it. Then open it again. If you have CR3 files in your collections that ShutterSnitch has marked as unsupported, you can refresh those by two-finger-double-tapping in the 'unsupported' text.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby cmejia » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Just got an EOS R and finally paid for the subscription on ShutterSnitch.

The process to enable CR3 rendering to work on iOS devices seems inconsistent. I got 3 devices I tried with, all of them on iOS 12.2. One showed the CR3 at first attempt, the 2nd one showed a gray square first, but when I copied more photos (using Apple's SD card reader), it started rendering them. The 3rd iPad (an older 2nd gen ipad mini), is still showing gray squares, even after several copies of new photo batches, connecting/synching to a Mac (with Mojave), so could it be related to being an older device (even though it has iOS 12.2)??

Anyway, got it working on my two primary devices.

And ShutterSnitch works like a charm, like always :)

One small detail: The thumbnail preview for EOS R, when selecting which photos to get to ShutterSnitch, works great for JPG, and regular CR3. There's a new version of CR3 which is compressed, C-RAW. Those ones don't render at all. Once you select them, they download and render fine both inside ShutterSnitch, Photos App, Lightroom, etc. Just seem to be the thumbnail preview for these new compreesed CR3 C-RAW.

Anything I can do to help improve this?
Carlos
cmejia

Postby TheBrew » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:44 pm

cmejia wrote:One small detail: The thumbnail preview for EOS R, when selecting which photos to get to ShutterSnitch, works great for JPG, and regular CR3. There's a new version of CR3 which is compressed, C-RAW. Those ones don't render at all. Once you select them, they download and render fine both inside ShutterSnitch, Photos App, Lightroom, etc. Just seem to be the thumbnail preview for these new compreesed CR3 C-RAW.

The thumbnails you see are provided by the camera, so I wonder if it's not able to extract a thumbnail from a compressed raw or maybe it needs a special thumbnail-request.

If you browse the camera using Canon's "EOS Remote" app, is it able to show thumbnails for those raws?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby cmejia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 am

TheBrew wrote:
cmejia wrote:One small detail: The thumbnail preview for EOS R, when selecting which photos to get to ShutterSnitch, works great for JPG, and regular CR3. There's a new version of CR3 which is compressed, C-RAW. Those ones don't render at all. Once you select them, they download and render fine both inside ShutterSnitch, Photos App, Lightroom, etc. Just seem to be the thumbnail preview for these new compreesed CR3 C-RAW.

The thumbnails you see are provided by the camera, so I wonder if it's not able to extract a thumbnail from a compressed raw or maybe it needs a special thumbnail-request.

If you browse the camera using Canon's "EOS Remote" app, is it able to show thumbnails for those raws?

Yes, the EOS Remote app shows the thumbnails. In fact, it seems the thumbnails in ShutterSnitch sometimes don't even show for regular CR3s
Attached is EOS remote screenshot. 1/2 of those are RAW (CR3) and 1/2 are C-RAW (compressed)
Attachments
IMG_8078.PNG
IMG_8078.PNG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 584 times
cmejia

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 pm

cmejia wrote:Yes, the EOS Remote app shows the thumbnails. In fact, it seems the thumbnails in ShutterSnitch sometimes don't even show for regular CR3s
Attached is EOS remote screenshot. 1/2 of those are RAW (CR3) and 1/2 are C-RAW (compressed)

Thanks for letting me know! With a little help from a friendly beta-tester who has an EOS R, I've spent the day figuring out how to retrieve the thumbnails for raws + compressed raws. You can look forward to support for that in the next version. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi