Postby visionary » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi there,

Any sign of the rest of this tutorial?

Thanks,
V
visionary

Re: Initial Setup of Shuttersnitch on the iPad with WFT-E5a

Postby Areakphotos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:27 am

Anyone have a tutorial for connecting a wft-e4a?
Areakphotos

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 am

Seems like this died..

You may want to check out Rob Galbraith's guide.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Rmphotog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 am

I have a Canon 7d with a WFT-5A Canon grip. I have tried setting it up every way possible that I have seen on this forum. I have even had 2 professional network people try with no luck. The IPad see's the Canon under WiFi settings but we can't get Shutter Snitch to see the grip. We have set it up as a WFT Server as an Ad Hoc 11G on port 26000 on both the grip and the IPad. I set up the IP adress as was listed here. Do you think I should forget about the Canon WFT -5A and purchase an Eye-Fi card? I am only using the Canon and IPad with Shutter Snith. The IPad I'm using is WiFi only and 64 gig. Am I missing anything? I have read that others are using portable routers and some are jail breaking the IPad. I've read about so many different configurations that I am totally confused. Does anyone know the exact setup required for the 7d with the WFT-5A? Please list equipment and software.

Thank you,
Bob midgley
Rmphotog

Postby capnvic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:34 am

I have a Canon 7D with the WFT-E5A and an IPAD 60gb, 3g, wifi and running version 4.2.1.
I have read all the postings trying to get connected and have been unsuccessful following the fairly explicit advice shown.
I do not see the item in the bottom right that says the ipad is monitoring. I can get the info by touching the upper right and asking for it.
When I take a picture the WFT flashes slowly green but the picture does not show on the ipad.
On the camera:
I am selecting Coms mode FTP trans.
LAN Type Wireless
MAc address .....
Setup Set 5
Setting Name IPAD
IP Address set. Manual setting
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server Disable
IP Security Disable
Conn, method Ad hoc 11g
SSID Wft-adhoc
Channel 11
Encryption WEP
Address 192.168.1.2
Login Name snitch
On the IPAD:
Static IP 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.2
DNS

I have spent 3 hours on the phone with Canon and 1 hour at the Apple store trying to get connected to no avail.
I would really appreciate someone putting up a step by step(everyone of them) from start to finish on this board. It needs to be someone that has been successful with the same setup that I have. Not someone that has hacked or used some other piece of equipment. I admire you for that but I am challenged enough that I need someone to hold my hand!

If you are not inclined to post something like this for all then maybe you would like to call and I will pay you for your time.

Thanks,

Vic
714-292-6467
Southern California
capnvic

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm

The listening info is not in the lower right corner anymore - in version 2.0 it shows for a little while at the top instead.

I'll be spending time putting together tutorials for setup of wireless transmitters and Eye-Fi cards within the next weeks/month(s?).

Hopefully that'll make the setup less painful for normal users who don't thrive on network settings and computer guts.

Sadly I don't have a WFT, so I hope someone out there can lend a helping hand?

Looking at a WFT menu though, here're a couple of suggestions -

Under FTP Server, have you configured:
Target server >
Address: 192.168.1.2
Port: 26000
Login password >
Login name: snitch
Password: your superuser password
Target folder > /
Directory structure > Default
Overwrite same file > Enable
Passive mode > Disable

Other things to try:
Change the TCP/IP > IP address to 192.168.1.5
Change the Wireless LAN > Advanced settings > Ad hoc 11g > Channel to something else.. (9 for example)
Change the Wireless LAN > Advanced settings > Ad hoc 11g > No encryption

WFT Settings > Communication Mode: FTP trans.

And have you gone through the settings on wow_producer's post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5&start=50#p664
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Rmphotog wrote:...The IPad see's the Canon under WiFi settings but we can't get Shutter Snitch to see the grip. We have set it up as a WFT Server as an Ad Hoc 11G on port 26000 on both the grip and the IPad.

It's important to know, that it's not ShutterSnitch that "sees the grip" and its WFT server. (Well, the iPad sees the wireless network that the grip creates, but that's another story)

ShutterSnitch is the server and the WFT is the client. You don't need to be running a server on the WFT to have it work.

When the WFT takes a picture, it logs into the ShutterSnitch server and transfers the photo. ..if this is set up (see "Target server" in the post above)

I set up the IP adress as was listed here. Do you think I should forget about the Canon WFT -5A and purchase an Eye-Fi card? I am only using the Canon and IPad with Shutter Snith. The IPad I'm using is WiFi only and 64 gig. Am I missing anything? I have read that others are using portable routers and some are jail breaking the IPad. I've read about so many different configurations that I am totally confused. Does anyone know the exact setup required for the 7d with the WFT-5A? Please list equipment and software.

Thank you,
Bob midgley

I'd definitely be spending time getting the WFT to work. The Eye-Fi cards are nice and good, but the WFT are the way to go for rock solid transfers in a pro environment.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby capnvic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Under FTP Server, have you configured:
Target server >
Address: 192.168.1.2
Change the Wireless LAN > Advanced settings > Ad hoc 11g > No encryption

WFT Settings > Communication Mode: FTP trans.

And have you gone through the settings on wow_producer's post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5&start=50#p664

I had used this as a source earlier with no luck.

Thanks for the information.

I did change the target server to 192.168.1.2 and removed the WEP option and I finally got good transfer to the IPAD!!

Now the only thing I seem to be missing in the geolocation. I have set it to checked and actions on but it only shows f stop etc.

Thanks again, I love the app.

Vic
capnvic

Postby TheBrew » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Good to hear! ..when/if you dare, you may want to look into getting the encryption working if you have neighbors you don't want accessing your camera :)

The geo-location isn't visible in the browser title, but if you tap and hold the photo in the filmstrip and pick "File information", you should see it somewhere in the "Details" segment.
If not, check to see if ShutterSnitch is allowed to use the Locations services: Settings app > General > Location Services.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi